Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home from work today and a Harley Davidson comes pulling up next to me in my lane at a stop light. I'm thinking, oh boy, whats up. Dude started looking up and down my '07 KLR (red the fast one). He said, that thing looks like fun. I said, yep sure is. He said, is it new. I said, yep its an 07. He said, how much you pay for that thing. I said, around $5,000. He said, damn my accessories on this thing cost more than that. I said, thats why I bought this bike. He said, I work at Harley Davidson (which is about 10 miles from my house). I said, cool. He said, just remember, doesn't matter what bike you ride they are always out to get you. I said, yep. He said, be safe and rode off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Not all harley riders are death angels, dont forget I got a '04 FXDW in the garage :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
Is that Dyna Wideglide?? I'm not up on all the different Harley model initials. I have too many Harley riding friends, so I don't pay attention, unless they're broken down..


Then I'm always able to find a camera... :lol:
Note the two KLR's in the photo.. Hee Hee The green one's mine..



We were still able to ride for breakfast meats..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Paper..Nope...... It's a Sporty XL883R. TP.... Most of the Harley riders that look down on other riders are the wanabe bad arses that only have a Harley for the "Image"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
The way I look at it "I ride bikes" anyone that is brand/make/model/etc. specific is a poser to the bikers way.
The FXDWG is the Dyna Wideglide, my wife rides a purple 2003 yamaha v-star 650, and my daily rider is a '88 honda shadow vlx 600, also there is a ninja 250 and a honda rebel 250 in the stable. And there may very well be a '05 black softail custom in there next week. I average 30K bike miles per year across all my bikes, and I do not own a trailor. If you cant ride it you should not own it. My favorite 2 helemt stickers on my lid are "I rode my bike to trailor week" and "Silly yuppie - trilors are for boats" Those 2 alone pretty much sum me right up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
Deerhntr said:
Paper..Nope...... It's a Sporty XL883R. TP.... Most of the Harley riders that look down on other riders are the wanabe bad arses that only have a Harley for the "Image"
FXDW is a 883?? Huh??

Oh, and the bike in the pic is a 1200 Roadster.. I've ridden the bike in the picture a few times. He's actually seriously kicking around selling it and buying.. Yup.. You guessed it.. A KLR650.. :shock: The Roadster is killing his tailbone, or so he says. The other guy in the pic is his brother and a guy I ride with all the time.. He actually loaned the KLR out to his brother all last weekend for him to get a good taste of riding the KLR.. Of course I put cardboard under the Harley while it was sitting in the garage.. I didn't have the heart to put a fake oil spot on it.. :lol:

We both were very polite to him when he bought the Harley. He'd been a Kawasaki rider for the last 20 years, but within a week of being a Harley owner, I heard him mention the words "Jap Junk", and he was serious.. :shock: I then pulled out the picture I have of a Road King being hauled in the back of a Toyota.. grumblegrumble was the reply... :wink:

Much like everything else, I have no problem with anyone riding anything, as long as they're out to ride.. When mention of how much better their brand is than other brands.. Well, then I get a little red in the neck..

I had a new Harley rider once tell me how much better his standard Harley was than my BMW as a touring bike.. I asked him if he had time to go get a fresh beer?? "Sure" he said.. "Where".. I told him we could either ride to the Old Style Brewery in La Crosse, the Miller brewery in Milwaukee, or in typical Harley fashion, the Bud brewery in St. Louis.. He didn't want to play anymore..

Speaking of that, I plan on riding my Strom to Denver for one of those famous omeletts next summer so I can get my Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 ride in.. They have them there, right??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Harley riders are a dime a dozen...


Bikers are a rare breed!!!!!!



My wife has a tee shirt with that on it. Every one at the BMW rally that saw it was impressed with it, except those two guys on the hogs. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
Daddyjoe said:
Harley riders are a dime a dozen...


Bikers are a rare breed!!!!!!
I like Harley "riders".. I have several friends that I ride with who ride them.. It's the ones that own, but don't ride them, and then tell me how great they are that get under my skin..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
When people ask me what I ride. I reply "a bike" most of the time I get the respone "what kind", to which I reply"dosent matter", only about one out of 50 agrees, the rest are brand specific. They ride names, I ride bikes, I like it that way, you might see me on a HD today, a yamaha tomorrow, or my buddies 1971 honda CB-100...100cc cafe bike. I like being on 2 wheels regardless of who made it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
what kind?
Tell them you test ride Harley's new top secret bike.. :shock:

When they ask about it, tell them that you, Jay Leno, and Willy G. are the only ones that have access to it.. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Paper said:
Deerhntr said:
Paper..Nope...... It's a Sporty XL883R. TP.... Most of the Harley riders that look down on other riders are the wanabe bad arses that only have a Harley for the "Image"
FXDW is a 883?? Huh??

Oh, and the bike in the pic is a 1200 Roadster.. I've ridden the bike in the picture a few times. He's actually seriously kicking around selling it and buying.. Yup.. You guessed it.. A KLR650.. :shock: The Roadster is killing his tailbone, or so he says. The other guy in the pic is his brother and a guy I ride with all the time.. He actually loaned the KLR out to his brother all last weekend for him to get a good taste of riding the KLR.. Of course I put cardboard under the Harley while it was sitting in the garage.. I didn't have the heart to put a fake oil spot on it.. :lol:

We both were very polite to him when he bought the Harley. He'd been a Kawasaki rider for the last 20 years, but within a week of being a Harley owner, I heard him mention the words "Jap Junk", and he was serious.. :shock: I then pulled out the picture I have of a Road King being hauled in the back of a Toyota.. grumblegrumble was the reply... :wink:

Much like everything else, I have no problem with anyone riding anything, as long as they're out to ride.. When mention of how much better their brand is than other brands.. Well, then I get a little red in the neck..

I had a new Harley rider once tell me how much better his standard Harley was than my BMW as a touring bike.. I asked him if he had time to go get a fresh beer?? "Sure" he said.. "Where".. I told him we could either ride to the Old Style Brewery in La Crosse, the Miller brewery in Milwaukee, or in typical Harley fashion, the Bud brewery in St. Louis.. He didn't want to play anymore..

Speaking of that, I plan on riding my Strom to Denver for one of those famous omeletts next summer so I can get my Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 ride in.. They have them there, right??
:? Thought you were talking about the bike in the pic. Got the model wrong too. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
tp_cracker said:
Riding home from work today and a Harley Davidson comes pulling up next to me in my lane at a stop light. I'm thinking, oh boy, whats up. Dude started looking up and down my '07 KLR (red the fast one). He said, that thing looks like fun. I said, yep sure is. He said, is it new. I said, yep its an 07. He said, how much you pay for that thing. I said, around $5,000. He said, damn my accessories on this thing cost more than that. I said, thats why I bought this bike. He said, I work at Harley Davidson (which is about 10 miles from my house). I said, cool. He said, just remember, doesn't matter what bike you ride they are always out to get you. I said, yep. He said, be safe and rode off.
Up here our Harley shop has been THE friendliest shop in town for years and they're the most community active. They also have the cutest and largest number of girls working there. And they have the only Dyno in town. They even Dyno'd my Duc for free on my BD! The finance mgr there is an ol 2-stroke roadracer from CA who, besides his big bagger, owns a Ducati 996, Honda 929, Yamaha Robert's replica RZ350, and a couple of scooters. I also bought one of my Triumph Daytona's from their service mgr. Great folks.

This is from a sportbike night party they had midwinter last yr to help bring more of us riders together in the off-season. The cutie sittin on the seat of my bike used to worked there for quite a while and the girl of the back is one of our local www.arcticattack.com stunters. 8) MH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Living here in Milwaukee we probably get to see the "purchased personality syndrome" as much as anywhere I would assume. There are quite a few realistic HD riders, I've owned a few myself. I just have to laugh at the real posers with an "02 bike with 3K miles on it. They all all get amazed that I have an '06 with almost 8K and ask if I actually rode that much. It's a different breed!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
Deerhntr said:
:? Thought you were talking about the bike in the pic. Got the model wrong too. :oops:
Hey... No problem at all.. The Sportys are hard to ID from the end, and I've had the advantage of being there in person.. :lol: It's a great bike to look at. He's set it up nicely, but it's not comfortable for anything much over a half hour..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Brand loyalty is like going to a buffet and only eating beans (and the hot air resulting from said activity :oops: ).

I like a little bit of everyting on my plate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
+1 Ham.

I have to agree there are a lot of HD riders that buy for the "Image". HD has gone to great links to promote that Image and their bike sales are a testement to that. The problem is that most HD riders get stereotyped with this image. I sold an 01 Heritage this spring with 30,000 on it and nearly all the guys I rode with were putting a lot more miles on their Harleys. Yea it used to bug me that I'd see guys buy a Harley and become an Instant Biker. 8) It really doesn't matter what you ride as long as you Ride. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
ham! said:
Brand loyalty is like going to a buffet and only eating beans (and the hot air resulting from said activity :oops: ).

I like a little bit of everyting on my plate.
THAT'S way too funny! I'm gonna have to try and remember this one! MH
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top