Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shield on my '09 causes the wind to hit me directly in the face, sounding like a wind tunnel. If I stand up, the wind turbulence is much less. If I go with a taller shield, the bike will not fit into my enclosed trailer, so I'm thinking of just doing away with it.

Obviously, the design of the front fairing is not set up to just remove the shield, so I was wondering if anyone has cut it. I was thinking it could possibly be cut just above the top mount screws, as well as cutting the sharp points of the mounting mechanism flat. Has anyone done this, and if so how did you do it?

Thanks in advance,
JT

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yes you can cut the stock shield above the top screws. If you wish to have a tall convertible shield ("High/Low") you can cut it and wingnut it back together. I do it to change between highway and dirt riding. On the dirt I just flip it over and reattach it.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a pretty cool idea GoMotor. Can you tell me what you used to cut it, without cracking or damaging it?

JT

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This is what mine looks like. It's the metal mounting plate of a big Madstad windshield. I left it in place after removing the shield and never putting it back on as I much prefer no windshield at all.

I would think it would be pretty easy to fabricate a similar one out of some sheet metal stock of some kind, thus saving your original windshield if you ever change your mind.

You could shape it where it would slip right down into the original windshield "slot," drill the screw holes appropriately, spray it whatever color you want and it should work.

If you chose this route, you might want to add some kind of protective cover over the top edge to keep your 'nads from getting planed off if you ever go over the bars..........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you chose this route, you might want to add some kind of protective cover over the top edge to keep your 'nads from getting planed off if you ever go over the bars..........
Yes, that's what I was thinking too ... and the two sharp pointed pieces that are left if you remove the shield look pretty deadly.

I already have a nice CeeBailey's tall shield that I got last fall and never mounted. I like the idea of cutting it and adding the wingnuts. I may try to have a local glass company cut & drill it for me, or send it back to the factory if I have to and see if they'll do it. It wasn't cheap, and I don't want to ruin it.

Thx for the help.

JT

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It is not hard to cut the Cee Baily shield with a saw. I use an electric saber saw, but you could use a little one handle hacksaw blade. With a power saw cut slowly so the plastic swarf (chips) doesn't get hot and melt. I put duct tape across the shield and mark the cut line on it. The tape keeps the vibrating feet of the saw from scratching the shield.

For drilling holes, go slowly so the bit doesn't grab at the end of the hole and stress it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question about the CeeBailey's shield. I haven't mounted mine yet, and haven't really looked at the instructions since last fall when I got it. I remember blue loctite was suggested for some parts of the assembly.

I know there is a metal triangular piece that the lower part of the shield mounts to. Is the shield easily removable from this piece? Like if someone wants to use the shield sometimes, or go without it sometimes? Or for me when I need to put it into the enclosed trailer? It would save me from cutting it down if I could easily remove it for trailering, or even for woods riding.

JT

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The rubber stems of the well nuts pass through the shield and the metal stiffener plate and hold them together. When you remove the four screws to remove the shield the metal plate comes out with the shield as if the two were stuck together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts