Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 KLR :Loaded the bike down with tent and all and headed out for camping trip. We road for about 3 hrs and came upon an amazing view off of the trail. Needless to say that with such an incredible view I left the key position on for about 15 minutes draining my 8-10 month old battery. Not enough juice to start it so I bumped started it and road it for about 2-3hrs above 3000rpm. Turned it off and click...click. It didn't charge it at all. I spent the weekend bumpstarting it and riding all weekend long up in timbucktoo. I would think that a stock charging system would charge a good, but low battery. When I got home I through it on the charger for about 3 hrs and charged it to almost 13 volts.
Bike starts right up but....will it stayed charged.....Any ideas. Can I test the charging system by disconnecting the battery while running and see if the bike stalls or could that FRY something?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Do me a HUGE favor and tell me that you checked the water level of the battery???

KLR's are notorious for boiling the water out of a battery. They should be checked and filled once a year, minimum.. Check your water level and fill if it's low.. I think you'll find it easier to start and much better battery life when full..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Now you got me confused.. The KLR's charging system isn't great, but it's not bad, either.. Not sure how much riding would be required to get the battery back to cranking power, though..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, one more thing. After I charged it I took the battery to the local battery store and had it load tested. He said it was good but needed a little charging. I was really hoping the battery was shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe didn't drive it long enough to have enough charge in the battery to restart your bike especially if the battery is a little old (slowly losing charge over time when sitting).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I check this off of the battery terminals..If so my volt meter showed 12.30 volts before startup and off of charger. After startup voltage slowly dropped down ultimately to 11.87 volts with about .15 volts fluctuation from various accessories. i.e fan,turn signals-etc. I also kept a constant 3500 rpm with very little gain in voltage..maybe an increase of.05 or so. With bike running my meter on the battery terminals is about 11.87. Turn it of and it increases to about 12.10? Maybe I cant test voltages at battery terminals?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Inadequate Charging Voltage

Ok, I just checked voltage at the terminals with battery disconnected and I have 7.5volts at idle. At 3500 RPM voltage drops down to 3.5volts. Obviously not even remotely close to where it needs to be at 13+. Any thoughts are welcomed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Frank,

Whoa! I just read your last post, a battery probably isn't your answer.

I bought an Odyssey dry cell and have no problems. I have left my hot grips on for an hour and had a good start. Batteries Plus stores have dry cells around $79 or you can throw down $120 like I did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's for the help.. I tried my R&R on a buddies KLR thinking that might help me narrow it down. Not so, just more confusing with the numbers we were getting on voltage drops and spikes. According to Electrosports troubleshooting guide I have a short somewhere after following there test. They classify this scenario as the "Most difficult to locate short" might be ignition switch,fuselock etc....Yuk, I hate electrical...

Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would at least try a different battery first. I would not reccomend testing without a battery unhooked the spike you see when hooking up and unhooking is a ac spike not dc and is vary damaging to the system. You could have shorted out a cell in the battery. Do you know anyone at a chevy dealership we use a midtronics tester not a carbon pyle tester which will kill a small battery. It will give you the state of health and cranking status. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts