Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i'm a newbie here. i just picked up an 85 klr600 and i think the head gasket may be bad. my question is can i pull the head without taking out the cams? can the head be pulled with the motor in the bike?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
hi
i'm a newbie here. i just picked up an 85 klr600 and i think the head gasket may be bad. my question is can i pull the head without taking out the cams? can the head be pulled with the motor in the bike?
thanks in advance

I think so yes, I haven't worked on a 600 but plenty of thumpers.

You have to get the cam chain off the cams. Take off the tensioner and you should have enough slack. Hook a piece of wire to it and hang it so it doesn't fall into the abyss!

Yea you can take the head off on the bike, it's probably harder to get the valve cover off than the head.

and Welcome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i was hoping to hear that i know u could on the 1st years 900 ninja's and the klr's head look very similar .

·
Registered
4 Posts
better to pull it off the bike, short cuts only add up to "oh shit" at the end
its very easy to pull off, the fun starts putting it all back on!
and you want to have a look as to why your head gasket blew, so it won't hurt to take a look inside...
rattly screws, stuffed valve clearances, fatigued piston rings, loose tensioners are all common problems with older klrs you happen to just "pick up"...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol thanks guys for all of your input but i sold the bike back in august for $1250 just couldn't pass up that offer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts