Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Codys wrestling season is coming to an end in a couple of weeks and that will leave me with a month before we open our shop up.
So I see my riding buddy Pat (also a marine mechanice off for another month) a couple days ago and he ask me " What are you doing the end of this month?", well, that set the wheels in motion. We talked about Death Valley and a few other places.
I called my Dad up today in Yuma. They just got back from their trip, made it as far as Guatemala before turning around.
He said "Lets go to Baja". So, we have decided where we are going. We will trailer the bikes to Yuma, then ride from there to San Felipe. I have a friend that lives there. We'll stay a couple days there, then down to Puertecitos, Cocoa's corner and who knows after that.
If anyone is interested, let me know so we can hammer down some specific dates. Wa Hoo, I'm headed back to Baja!!! :p0003 :p0006 :p0016 :p0049 :p0009 :p0012

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DJ,
I'm getting a little sick of the cold weather this year. It doesn't usually stay this cold for this long here, so I'm going south to find some warmer weather!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
June 1 2007, that is our projected date for "chasing the 70-80's. anything above the 80's is too hot, and anything below 70 is too cold.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jamie,
I was going to take my KLR as we were going to be doing some off road stuff, but that has changed. We will go to San Felipe for a few days, then up towards Ensenada to Tecate and then Oceanside. From there we are heading east to Escondido, Julian then Borrego Springs. Then back to Yuma. So it looks like I will be taking the Strom now.
I had a little mishap in the garage last night and banged my shoulder up pretty bad. Hopefully it will be better by then. And speaking of injuries Jamie, hows your back? Better I hope..........

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for asking! I'm on the mend, I think. My back really doesn't hurt, but I have some numbness and a muscle in my leg isn't working. But I'm working out every day and trying to keep a good attitude. No work yet, no riding yet, etc. I have been working on the bike, adding farkles and doing maintenance: that makes me feel good.
All that to say, I'm shooting for a March 1st return to duty date. That may be a bit optimistic, but here's hoping!

Jamie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the plan has changed a little again. My buddy Pat just called today. The issues he was working out had to do with his Mom. He was trying to get her in a assisted living home, but her condition has gotten worse and she is back in the hospital, so he is not going. Soooo, I am flying down to Yuma. I will ride my Dads RT BMW to Baja. When we are done, I'm going to ride it back up here for him so he doesn't have to haul it back. Hopefully the weather up north here will be warmer as I head back. I plan on following the coast up California and Oregon, then head inland from Portland to the Tri Cities and to Spokane. Looking for plane tickets right now, I am thinking next teusday is my departure date. Maybe I will even meet some of you along the way..........

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
That sounds like a fun trip, I want to do it in July or Aug, but going south.

While your looking for air fair you might consider a round trip ticket and let him haul the bike back. I have found round trip tickets are offten cheaper than one way.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daddyjoe said:
That sounds like a fun trip, I want to do it in July or Aug, but going south.

While your looking for air fair you might consider a round trip ticket and let him haul the bike back. I have found round trip tickets are offten cheaper than one way.
And miss the ride back up, not an option. I could aways buy the round trip ticket and use only half. You rode the pacific hwy before, haven't you? I am really looking forward to this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daddyjoe said:
Only from San Daigo to Santa Barbra, I want to share the rest with my wife, ( I got lonley too)
I will be solo also, :mrgreen: I am sooo ready..........

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I fly out in 3 days. Just got a PM from Swishhhh with Theotherbigjoes cell #, so it looks like Peteluma is on my list. Works out pretty good since I was going thru there anyways. If you read this Joe, I will give you a call when I leave Yuma heading north. It will probably be on or around the 7th of march. If there is anyone else along the way, PM me and I will try to stop by (maybe a free campsite for the night, come on, I still own a KLR)...........

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Tim,
So are you hauling a laptop with you to document the journey or post it up when you return?
Oh, and I'll try to keep an eye on the passes up here for you. May make your decision to head this way a bit easier.
Again, sure was great meeting you and your family. Hope to see you in a couple weeks. Oh, and you have a free place to stay here BTW:)

Jamie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jamie,
If the weather Gods allow it, I would like to make my last stop at your place. I really have no deadline for getting back (other then april 1st), so the weather is going to dictate my route. And yeah, it was great meeting you to and hopefully I'll see you again in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a big 10-4 goodbuddy...

enjoy the ride.

over and out.
Roger that Rubber Duck................

Oh, and Jamie, I don't have a laptop to take. I will try to post some from Yuma before I head back up here. But with his dial up, it might take to long. Trip reports from the road are cool though......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well folks, I'm back in the states and at a friends house in Redding, Ca. I have about 700 miles to go before I am home. It has been a interesting trip and I will post a trip report when I get home. Over 400 pics taken so far, so it will be a long one...............

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have decided it will take to long to post 2 trip reports as I started one on ADVRider before I left. I just put a link on KayLR's hustlers thread, but will put it here to. I stayed an extra day here in Redding as it was raining when I got up this morning. I should be home friday and will add more pics then.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208051

1 - 20 of 29 Posts