Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Headed for Hyder

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  NoBull 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok all you Alaska folks, hide your wives and your children Im coming your way. Well kinda Im headed for Hyder, I only have so much vacation ok.. Im leaving early July 1st, headed for Calgary the first day, Prince George, and spending 3rd and 4th in Hyder. Returning home via Vancouver and the coast. Gonna see the redwoods in Cali then its back home for me..:11a:

This spot link will be active July 1st to July 13th.. http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6138

#3 ·
Hyder Alaska, definitely is "Alaska" but is more reknown for those riders that want to only 'technically' ride to Alaska. Iron Butt 48 plus ride
As Hyder Al. is nothing more than Stewart B.C.
Like was posted the only way to Hyder is to ride 3 kilometers west past the last building in Stewart, and you cross the border into the USA and Hyder.

#4 ·
I would love to ride further into Alaska, but I can only get away for so long. As soon as I hit the lotto the real Alaska will be in the forecast. Maybe you two could help me here a bit. What kinda temps can one plan on hitting this time of year. Looking at historic temps on websites Im looking at lows in the low 40sF and highs around 60F. If Im calculating correctly that 8 c and 14 c. Does that sound about right?

#5 · (Edited)
google 'theweathernetwork.com'
Then look at Prince Rupert, and Prince George eviromental prognostication.
Keeping in mind that the weather forecasters in British Columbia are pathological liars. It will give you a ball park guestimate.
From my experience it is more reasonable that you could easily see temperatures from the mid to high 20's c.

#6 ·
make sure you ride up the glacier road when u get there. some great spots up there. are you camping? also, watch out for bears and deer on the road. ill see if i can get a few pics up. i was there 2 yrs ago. sweet ride from the turn off out to Hyder.

#7 ·
We do plan on going to the Glaciers outside of Hyder, Salmon Glacier if I remember right. We are ridng two up for 11 days, not enough room for camping gear. So we will be staying in Hotels and at a few folks that volunteered couches. I cant wait, did all the maintenance already. Even did a sample packing to see if it all fits. First trip with wifey riding with me, she usually rides her own.

#8 ·
Not long now. I will be leaving late tomorrow night/ early thurs morning. Gonna run to Calgary for Thursday, from there we will do Jasper/Banff and stay somewhere around Prince George or surrounding towns. Hyder for the 3rd and 4th. We will make our way down to Vancouver, down the coast to Crescent City and the Redwoods. A night in Tahoe, another in Heber City Ut and Im home again. I am really jazzed and cant wait. Bike is packed, GPS programmed. All I lack is getting on the bike and going. I learned alot packing for two for 12 days on one bike. Whats important etc. The best part is the wife cant buy anything at all, not even something small nowhere to put it. See yall in two weeks..

#10 ·
Yeppers with my wife working the camera we will end up with pictures. When we both ride we tend to ride all day and never take pictures along the way. She put the camera on a lanyard to wear around her neck. Empty 4 gig card says it will hold 1127 pics at 7m. That should do it..Another plus, I dont think our cell phones will work in Canada, its gonna be peaceful for sure.
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6138

#12 ·
Made it to Prince George last night, this place is great. Hwy 16 is one of the cooler roads Ive ridden. Talk about out in the middle of no where...Saw a bear along the side of the road. Made me wonder what I would do if I broke down. Running outts gas could take on a whle new meaning..Headed for Hyder today and spending the 4th there..

#13 ·
Well ten days later and we are home. 5223 miles of pure joy. We spent the 3rd and 4th in Hyder Alaska. Came home thru Vancouver and made our way thru Washingtons coast and down 101 into Arcata Calif. We then made a turn to the east and came home to Golden Colorado. Fantastic journey. Bike served me well,no issues. Tires seemed to make the journey with rubber left. I definently need to get back to Canada, I like...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.