Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Y’all!
Not being very mechanically inclined, I was installing cyclops LED bulbs in my 2009. While the instructions stated I might have to manipulate the metal clips or whatever they’re called. I managed to break one, and was not successful in adjusting either clip. Anybody know where I can buy a couple of them and try again? Ive safety wired them in but concerned they might move out of adjustment while riding especially at night. I’ve searched partzilla and a bunch of of places on google but no luck. Anybody know where I can get some or will the safety wire work?

Thx in advance for y’all’s help!
Devil Doc

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The headlight bulb clip mystifies me!

Until I sought professional experienced assistance installing a new headlight bulb, I held the bulb in place with compressed foam.

After proper installation, I made an image of the clip in place for future reference (BTW, the dealership didn't find the part in their fiches and catalog while I was in the shop; maybe it's there, but don't know where). If I find the image, I'll post it.

OK; apologies for the lousy focus (snapped hurriedly on the dealership parking lot):

Nothing wrong with my clip; I had hoped for a line drawing in a fiche to tell me how it fit and whether my part was OK or not; turns out, it was OK!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
It is a non intuitive design. I just had to figure mine out on my aftermarket H4 can but I am pretty sure the clips are the same judging by the picture above. They must be out there for cheap somewhere. The part I kept wanting to pivot on doesn't go in that spot at all.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
My gen2 fairing was laying in the garage. Same design. Just screw the new retainer in and then flip it over and push the wire into the slot with the the little handle.

I posted so many pictures just pretend they are a flip book and you almost have a video. 😂

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It is a non intuitive design.
To say the least!!!!!!!!!!! I'll offer an, "Amen!"

Thanks for your excellent photographs of the installation. Without them, my intuition would flee, never to return without experienced, and perhaps professional, help.

The puzzle appears solved now, thanks to your lucid images.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also broke my clip on a gen2, gonna try to make one! Have to buy a 400 dollar assembly otherwise! Help!!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cyclops instructions say may have to manipulate springs, bike one in the process, then I phone Cyclops and they tell me no manipulation is nessesary on a 2015!! To late now!!
Anyone that has a clip would be very helpful?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seen a thread on another site , that guy said he made one from piano wire, when I installed my LED bulbs I had to reshape the clips.
A metal coat hanger was what I had in mind if one of mine broke.
Some stiff wire, a vise and some pliers with some patience should yield a usable clip.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks 685, piano wire arriving this weekend, we'll see what I can make, also Darrell at Cyclops said to send whole headlight assembly down to him and he will make a spring clip for me! Customer service at its best!
Shout out to Darrell....thanks for the offer, may end up taking you up on it! Haha!
Gonna give it a whirl myself first!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy & Good Afternoon to Y’all! Thank to everone’s input!!!
To quote the line from the original movie- the Sandlot ‘all y’all are killing Smalls-Smalls you’re killin’ me’...)

I never thought about about the metal coat hanger idea, or call in’ Cyclops) themselves, but that will have to wait til Tuesday. On Monday’- I have to be available from 0730 to 1700 before ‘fillin’) to put the tho go juice in as is literally
empty. About time too because as of Monday 03MAR20, I’ve gone through the savings etc.

So wish me luck on Monday!

Kinda relate, are ya’ll able to change the pet cock on/offl/reserve gasket etc. without removin’ the tank? & plugging the tank to carb line with a bolt?

And lastly, I bought a couple of LEDs to install in my dash to tell me that whichever signal is still on, and a way to attach them without cuttin’& splicing all 3 wires together. I was think in’ that if I undo the the socket, after figuring out whichever which is hot & the ground slidin’ the wires in the correct slot and plugging in the slot and connect the plug and I’m good to to. I can’t hardly see the blinker down low so I thought up high on the upper dash they‘d easily seen. Any ideas?

oh, and I broke both bulb retainers... Got them on with heavy duty safety wire but I’d prefer the correct attachmen.

TIA,

Doc

·
Registered
445 Posts
Note about piano wire, aka “music wire”: this is very high carbon steel wire, drawn and heat treated so it has very high yield strength and ultimate tensile strength (approaching 200Ksi). Also commonly called spring steel. To form it correctly, you will have to heat it, then retreat it. If you try to bend it without heating, it may snap. Just be aware of how to use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installing a klr dash.......which windshield to use?? Like both zero gravity screens, but hoping someone will chime in that has one of those installed. I'm 6' 1" tall, finding it tough to make a decision!? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Steveonski: Look at the threads on windscreens and dashes, then post questions in that thread to keep that info together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again y’all! the ONLY Kawasaki shop is in Reno, about a 40 miles just to get there. They also didn’t have the dang thin the catalog other than buying a complete fairin. Just about had a heart attack!

I think I’ll leave the safety wire (super heavy duty) on while I attempt the coat hanger shape. That is a heck of an idea! And yep flipping through the pics is like a video. Thanks again y’all!

I’m also (probably put this in another thread but I’m whooped after being awake 48hrs but I’m also mounting 2 small LEDS to the upper dash-Kronos-one on both port & starboard sides, cause I really can’t see that little button down low. Bought some plain amber ones that I got A tiny round LED. Although I also found on Amazon some that are pretty cool, they have a green arrow on them. Might give them a shot, but at $20 for both, but puts a dent in my cigar fund, lol. The ones with the arrows state non polarized that a resistor is already inside of the unit, but since I suck at wirin’ (the pic of the wirin’ diagram on here I’m thinkin’ of tryin’ to see if I can squeeze them in the socket for each side, before plugin’ the socket together. Hope I can and that it won’t blow me up, lol. Wish me luck!
Doc

13069F91-1424-4E86-A66C-25E0702BB9BF.jpeg E85D8AD7-CA87-4409-B413-2C4C0E6724C2.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts
The stock dash bulb is not polarized.
It is feed from one side when the right blinker is on then the other side when the left is on.
You will need to wire the new led bulbs opposite of each other if they are polarized.
I hope that makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining.​

1 - 17 of 17 Posts