Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'18 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started removing my old Lexx exhaust in order to install the new Leo Vince and noticed the clear drain tube on the clean side had charring. Pulling the metal heat shield off the bottom of the airbox uncovered additional heat damage. This is my first time digging into this part of the bike, but it looks like the dirty side oil drain duckbill is completely melted off—and I don't like how it looks near the clean side drain.

I guess I'm now in the market for a replacement airbox. Partzilla has them at $172 a pop!

The foam filter has quite a bit of fiberglass packing stuck in it. I don't know if I can remove all those pieces of fiberglass. Would the best option be to buy a new one at this point?

On the positive side, I did get a new tire mounted. Trying out a Shinko 705.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
The Uni filters are pretty darned good - but for sure, best path forward is "best option be to buy a new one at this point"

See Schnitz or EM, about $24 to keep the motor from swallowing any fibers - cheap insurance.

For the airbox - I've had good success w shopping ebay, and typ for less than $45 shipped.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine melted too. The previous owned apparently loosened the muffler clamp when he was installing his crash bars then forgot to tighten it back up. There were a couple of holes on the clean side too. Good thing I was not doing any dirt at the time.

Good luck finding a new one as they are on backorder.

I found one in excellent shape on ebay. Think it ended up being around $55 shipped.

Good luck.

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Rim Tints and shades
Personal protective equipment Close-up Liquid Art Metal
Art Metal Automotive design Bicycle part Auto part

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
394 Posts
. The previous owned apparently loosened the muffler clamp when he was installing his crash bars then forgot to tighten it back up.
I check my muffler clamp bolt for tightness from time to time. I have found it to be a bit loose on more than one occasion, more often than any other bolt or nut on the bike. So, I advise to check the muffler clamp bolt, and others every now and then.

Reactions: BlitzKrieger

·
Registered
'18 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine melted too. The previous owned apparently loosened the muffler clamp when he was installing his crash bars then forgot to tighten it back up. There were a couple of holes on the clean side too. Good thing I was not doing any dirt at the time.
That's really melted! I'm going to add checking the muffler clamp into the routine inspection checklist.

I have a lead on a used airbox—a nice member reached out indicating that they had a spare. Maybe it's unique to this forum, or perhaps a trait of being a KLR owner, but ya'll are always ready to help out, and it's impressive as hell!

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
That's really melted! I'm going to add checking the muffler clamp into the routine inspection checklist.

I have a lead on a used airbox—a nice member reached out indicating that they had a spare. Maybe it's unique to this forum, or perhaps a trait of being a KLR owner, but ya'll are always ready to help out, and it's impressive as hell!
+1 on this being a great forum i.e. group of guys. Some of the other forums I haunt rarely respond to queries.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
what they all said plus jbweld makes a hi heat resistantant putty-900 deg its even easier to work than regular jbweld build a good shield on choke warmup verboten..

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
there is an airbox in classifieds if you have not found one....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts