Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
'18 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started removing my old Lexx exhaust in order to install the new Leo Vince and noticed the clear drain tube on the clean side had charring. Pulling the metal heat shield off the bottom of the airbox uncovered additional heat damage. This is my first time digging into this part of the bike, but it looks like the dirty side oil drain duckbill is completely melted off—and I don't like how it looks near the clean side drain.

I guess I'm now in the market for a replacement airbox. Partzilla has them at $172 a pop!

The foam filter has quite a bit of fiberglass packing stuck in it. I don't know if I can remove all those pieces of fiberglass. Would the best option be to buy a new one at this point?

On the positive side, I did get a new tire mounted. Trying out a Shinko 705.

· Registered
'18 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine melted too. The previous owned apparently loosened the muffler clamp when he was installing his crash bars then forgot to tighten it back up. There were a couple of holes on the clean side too. Good thing I was not doing any dirt at the time.
That's really melted! I'm going to add checking the muffler clamp into the routine inspection checklist.

I have a lead on a used airbox—a nice member reached out indicating that they had a spare. Maybe it's unique to this forum, or perhaps a trait of being a KLR owner, but ya'll are always ready to help out, and it's impressive as hell!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts