Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 with 4800 miles that I have started getting heat build up. The fan will come on the gauge never goes beyond 1/2 and seems to rise at the apropriate times and yet lately on longer rides I get excessive heat coming all the way up to the seat. I also notice that the hotter it gets the harder the shifting is?? My direction was the clean out the cooling system in hopes it has rust?? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Have you been performing any "adjustments" to the carburetor? YES / NO

It has coolant and the fan kicks in? YES / NO

A '98 with 4800 miles on it has sat far more than ran. My suspicions lean towards a carburetor with a gradual varnish build up, creating a lean running engine. This can be confirmed or dismissed by pulling the spark plug and reporting the prominent color of the spark plug electrode. A lean carburetor will create more heat faster than running the bike without coolant. Is the bike entirely stock, or has it been modified?

EDIT: If you can, run the engine until the fan kicks on again, and confirm that the fan blade is spinning. They do have a tendency to quit doing that. 'Specially after they go "tim-ber".

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Can you go back to the stock filter and test it?

Did you actually see the fan blade turning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I returned to the stock air filter and it seemed to have solved the problem. I put 14 miles on the highway at 5k and it didn't get hot again?? I did not see the fan turn but thanks for the help I'm confident i'm on the rite path.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts