Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an idear. What if someone were to installed the heated grip pads differently.
First get some shiny insulated exhaust tape, the stuff on # plates. Stick those behind your stock brush guards.
Then stick the heat pads to them.
Then when you're cruising along, flip them on and the wind would kind of blow the heat up to your hands.
Yes you would lose a lot of heat but maybe it would make the area around your hands a few degrees warmer? Probably not, but...
Instead of making your palms hot while your fingertips and top sides of your hands freeze.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
You really have to be making contact to them to get an heat.. Air blowing across them cools them down really fast.. Even use on aluminum bars will pull the heat away, somewhat..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Damn you Beavis, why do you have to rain down on my parade all the time"

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
If you want to keep your hands warm during cold weather riding,check out these handlebar mitts at hippohands.com. They are designed for highspeed motorcycle riding and in combination with grip heaters will keep your hands toasty to temps far below what a sane person would ride a bike in. I use a similar product on my Quad and am totally comfortable at 35 below with light gloves on.
regards...justjeff

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. That's what I did last year with great results.
Just throwing out other idears. :)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Yep. That's what I did last year with great results.
Just throwing out other idears. :)
You just get back in your box Savage. We can't have anyone thinking outside of their boxes. Oh, wait... I'm not at work... never mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thinking outside the box!

Keep thinking outside the box ,,,wrong or right,,,,it will lead somewhere or to something needed,,,,,,l

·
Registered
31 Posts
heated grips plus the cheap atv logic version of hippohands =:)
regular cheap fleece gloves and I'm good to lower 20s for my 1 hr commute each way.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using my $5 heated grips in this chilly weather. They feel great on my Hawk (w/o brushguards) and not so warm on my KLR. The only difference I can think of is my Hawk has silicone inside the steel bars. I think I'll remove the grips from my KLR this summer and shoot some silicone in the bars to see if it helps.

Any idears on that? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're heating the bars and the air inside on the KLR. The silicone acts as an insulator keeping more of the heat at the grip which is then absorbed by your hands. Another example- if you don't wrap the left grip on your KLR with some electrical tape or some other thermal insulator then the right grip will heat faster than the left due to being more thermally isolated (throttle tube) than the left.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep I read about that prior to ever installing my 1st pr. Did the heat shrink tape, etape trick to both grips and it = them out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Has any one used regular elect. heated gloves on a KLR at temp's near 30 - 20deg's?

I've used them down to near 35 deg's with a faring, but never below that. I was wondering if the air blowing directly over regular heated gloves would suck the heat away.

I wired my Kubota for heated gloves for snow plowing. Works ok there, but that's not like going down the road at speed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I screwed up the installation of my heated grips. I forgot to insulate the left handlebar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has any one used regular elect. heated gloves on a KLR at temp's near 30 - 20deg's?

I've used them down to near 35 deg's with a faring, but never below that. I was wondering if the air blowing directly over regular heated gloves would suck the heat away.

I wired my Kubota for heated gloves for snow plowing. Works ok there, but that's not like going down the road at speed.
Depends on brand and power draw, plus insulation on back of hand. A lot of folks report good results with the Gerbings and Warm n Safe down to low 20s, but it's all relative to your specific cold tolerance. I personally can't stand to ride with cold hands and with my long commute (40 miles each way daily) I just won't do it. I'm continually impressed how much warmer my hands are now that I've got some "hippo hands" installed. Today I rode home in mid 40s in an absolute downpour with only a pair of winter mechanix gloves and never turned on the heated grips (hands didn't even get damp until last few miles of riding). In the past with nothing but the stock handguards and heated grips I'd be wearing 2 layers of gloves and still might get cold. Killing the wind is equally important to adding heat, imo.

I screwed up the installation of my heated grips. I forgot to insulate the left handlebar.
You've got a couple options:

1. Just deal with it if you're climate allows your left grip to get warm enough.

2. Remove grip, remove heater, clean, insulate, and reinstall all (hopefully withoud damaging grip or heater in the process).

3. cut a small hole in the end of your left grip and insulate left side of the bar with either expanding foam etc. My choice would be high temp (red) RTV silicone.

number 2 is probably the "correct" way, number 3 would be the KLR Owner way:35a:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not necessarily a problem. At least one popular brand compensates for the different insulating effect of the bars by designing the heaters to have different resistance levels and, thus, different heat output for a given voltage.
Were the heaters marked "throttle" and "clutch"?

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is not necessarily a problem. At least one popular brand compensates for the different insulating effect of the bars by designing the heaters to have different resistance levels and, thus, different heat output for a given voltage.
Were the heaters marked "throttle" and "clutch"?

Yup, but the left is still noticeably not as hot as the throttle side:t1202:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup, but the left is still noticeably not as hot as the throttle side:t1202:
You can either:
A) Remove left grip and heater, insulate bar, and reinstall heater with new grip.

or

B)
Shoot some silicone or Great Stuff type expanding foam in the left bar end.

Either method will work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts