Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from a 98 Goldwing 1500 to a 2009 KLR650 and love it! I don't miss the Goldwing except for one thing: My heated Jacket! My question is: Will the KLR run one Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner that draws 6.4 amps? IT'S COLD!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run a heated jacket and gloves on my 2008 KLR. It will run the battery down if you have the jacket on high and don't run at a high enough rpm. I seldom find I have to run it on high. I put a volt meter on so I can keep track of the battery condition. I usually run the head light on low when I have the jacket turned up.A volt meter will keep you out of trouble.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm going to try it. I have the Gerbing Thermostat. It switches the voltage on and off (when not on high) so it kind of pulses. What it seems like I need is a relay that cuts out when the voltage gets to low. If I find something like that I'll post. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I use a TourMaster heated vest and have not had any problems.

I have upgraded some of the wiring and all the fuses on my '05.

By the end of the warm season I do plan on heated grips or heated gloves.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Will the KLR run one Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner that draws 6.4 amps? IT'S COLD!

I run an Aerostich heated vest on my 02' with no problem, and that's with a 100/55w headlight, too.. The heated vest is pulling 4.7 amps and I've never had so much as a low battery.. The charging system on my bike isn't nearly as powerful as the newwer models, too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm now running a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gerbing heated gloves. I know it can also run my socks no problem. Cold? Who cares! Almost a hot tub on 2 wheels! Thanks for the advice. Works like a charm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts