Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2008 KLR about mid July. I have added 3,200 miles to the 6,787 that were on the bike when I bought it. I love this bike, BUT

It uses a quart of oil about every 800 miles. This seems extremely excessive, and I'm surprised I haven't fouled the plug.

Most of what I have read suggests a 685 kit, but one poster said he had his '08 re-ringed with '09 rings, and this solved his problem.

Now that I have 10,000 miles on the bike, simply re-ringing might not be an option?

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Cliffmeister

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Wellll, that's a "try it and find out" thing.

At 10,000 miles you probably don't have a ridge in the cylinder, so you might be able to pop the top end, hone the cylinder, re-ring, and re-assemble. If it doesn't work you're out, what, $100?

I haven't heard a lot of news about the re-ring idea, but the Gen 2s did seem to stop burning oil after 2008 so it seems a worthy idea.

T

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2011 with 9000 mils and burn a quart of oil every 1200-1500 miles.
I keep a quart in my saddle bags and fill it up when needed.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Yeah, I've actually heard of quite a few 09's burning as well so I don't think it's isolated to the 08's :t1204:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If money isn't that tight....spend the extra on a 685 and be done with it....problem solved for good!:13:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I always carry oil. Helped me and others out a few times. Too poor for 685 myself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might consider the 685, but I kind of had to do a lot of begging (to my beloved wife) to get the bike. To spend upwards of $700 on a 685, not to mention being without the bike for a while, so soon after I bought it, won't go over well. Money isn't exactly tight, but we do have a budget, and do not use credit cards, so it will take some time saving up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw the Schnitz racing 685 kit online. At $296 complete, not as bad as I thought. Anybody know what I should expect to pay for the boring?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
As for boring costs....up above the border, I pay $100 and he gaps the rings also.

IMHO, if you can afford the kit, it makes no sense to me not to do it. No offense to anyone who can't obviously......the added benefits are almost a great as the non oil issues. It almost stops all vibes, and gives you a bit more grunt for those playfull rides or when passing someone at highway speeds.
It also isn't that difficutl to do the whole swap yourself. If you can operate the tools required which are simple hand tools you should have no problems. You only need a manual for specs etc. If you can reshim your vealves and do your DOO, you can do this job.
Seriously money well spent.:13:

·
Registered
342 Posts
My '09 uses about a quart per thousand miles...I just add oil as needed. Oil is cheap, and is typically available (10w40) at every fuel stop. Hence, I do not carry extra oil. Unless consumption or performance worsens, simply adding a half pint every other gas up is pretty cheap and easy. Almost like riding a 2 stroke, LOL.

I don't worry about it anymore.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If a car consumed oil at this rate, the plugs would foul quite quickly. Those of you who have oil burners, have you experienced a fouled plug?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If a car consumed oil at this rate, the plugs would foul quite quickly. Those of you who have oil burners, have you experienced a fouled plug?

My 08 burns at a similar rate. I haven't fouled a plug in the 5 years I've had the bike.

If my math is right mine runs about 75:1 gas to oil mix, much leaner than 2 strokes run. So I wouldn't expect to foul a plug and I've never seen any oil residue on the plug. About the only thing I notice is soot on the fender from the exhaust.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I rode Tom's 685 in Etna (before the engine went pfft BAM!). If I did have the money, I might do it. I didn't notice that much more power (a bit), but the reduction in vibes was VERY welcome. And this was a long time ago, so no I didn't jinx Tom's bike. ;)

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I just make darn sure I check the oil every day, or at least every fill up... Oils cheap, heads and cylinders not so much...

I guess I can't complain though, if I run mine under 5000 rpm it hardly uses any... Wind it up on the slab though and it's a whole nother story!

If it ever get's too bad I will just do the 685 as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My daily commute is 36 miles. Of that 36 miles, 16 is freeway, and I generally tach at 5,000 - 5,300 rpm. The speedometer says I am going 75 - 80 mph, but we all know the speedometer is optimistic, so I'm guessing 67- 73 mph.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IF, you choose not to fix the problem....Make darn sure you check the oil every time you swing a leg over the saddle.....seriously!!! It takes a second of your time and may save you hundreds if not thousands to fix the damages done from low oil....just saying.

The first area that goes bad is the front right exhaust cam bearing as it is the furthest from the oil pump in the system and last to get any type of oil pressure. Once that cam bearing is toast....so is your head...plain and simple.....no fixing it I'm afraid!
Next will be the cylinder and it's surface but that is the reason it is bad in the firstplace so no worries there. Now the lower big end bearings will start getting oil starved.....another huge job, splitting the cases.....augh!

I don't mean to try and scare you into spending the money on a 685, but the conciquenses of not catching a low oil issue is catestrophic!

I fill my oil up to the top of the oil sight glass. Just so there isn't any more air to be seen. This way IF, I am using any oil there will be a small air bubble in the sight glass and an easy thing to see. Now I am fully aware of what I must do and somewhat soon. Find a little bit of oil just to get that bubble gone again.
Worst comes to worst, if you have extremely low oil, any oil will do just to get you to a place where you can flush the crap out and put in the proper oil.

I can't stress enough to make damed sure you have enough oil in your engine. I make good money fixing people's bikes and see some really bad things from just this problem.

Hope this scares you just enough to at least check your oil.......:13:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My daily commute is 36 miles. Of that 36 miles, 16 is freeway, and I generally tach at 5,000 - 5,300 rpm. The speedometer says I am going 75 - 80 mph, but we all know the speedometer is optimistic, so I'm guessing 67- 73 mph.

A 16 tooth front sprocket will knock about 400 rpm off at those speeds. My speedo is 10% optimistic at all speeds. When I first got the bike cars were tailgating me then I got a GPS!

5k seems to be the threshold for oil consumption for some reason. I carry oil for longer rides when I know I'll be running in that range.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I'm a bit of a slowpoke I guess, but I try to stay off the primary highways and keep my rpm around 4500 and she uses very little... As Spec said, a sprocket change will help drop your rpm a bit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts