Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I am new to the KLR and coming back to motorcycling after an 18 year leave of absence. Really my Motorcycling experience is no where near the level of most the members here. When I was a youngster (19) I had 3 incidents with street bikes in 28 days without ever swinging my leg over one. 2 with my cage and one as a pedestrian. In all 3, the bike rider was at fault. So no, I was not doing any targeting. I figured if I cannot keep from crashing with a motorcycle while not riding one, I had better stay away. It just kind of scared me.

Bu....ut, being as I have never outgrown my desire to play in the dirt, in 1984, I had an opportunity to ride a Honda 250R at JTB and Southside BLVD here in Jax when it was Sand dunes. Now, it is home to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I know it has 3 wheels but after riding the 250r, I said I have got to get one of these. The Navy sent me to Northern California, just north of San Jose. Moffett Field for those familiar with the area. If you are ever in the area on Hwy 101 in Mountain View, look for the large Blimp Hanger from WW II.

I bought my first thumper, but again it had 3 wheels not 2, still scared I guess. It was a Honda 200x. I pretty much lived at Pismo Beach on weekends for the next year. After a year, one of my fellow aircrew members said had a ?79 YZ400 (not a thumper, but it scooted) he wanted to unload. So I said, it is not a street bike, I will give it a shot. This thing was probably not any safer then a street bike. I think it would have climbed a tree with the right rider.

The bike was in great shape. Once I learned how to manage the power band, I began to have a ball with it. I hated the rat race social environment in California, but the off road riding, whether on 2, 3 or 4 wheels could not be beat. The Next 2 years I spent my weekends at Pismo, Clear Creek, or Hollister Hills. The highlight of my California tour of duty was a trip up Hwy 1 through the Redwoods to Oregon Dunes where I lived in the dunes for a week.

So as it is with all good things, they have got to end some time. The Navy transferred me back to the East coast and I was getting hitched so had to give up one of the bikes. Did not have the room to haul both and Navy would not ship either one which I later found was technicality that could be overcome. Took some pictures of the YZ and let her go for $100 less then I paid. That fella got a great deal. The motor was just bored, rebuilt, break in done and ready to ride. I kept the 200x while in Maine and then the Navy brought me to FLA in ?91. The 200x made a few trips to the Ocala National Forest, but was not getting ridden to the extent it is in California, so I sold it for $$ to buy accessories for my CJ-5. That was the last I saw of single cylinder engines (other than the lawn mower) until?.

?this past year I was looking for a way to save gas on my commute (50 miles round trip) and found that the KLR would do the trick and offer me an opportunity to occasionally go off road or not, but have a little fun on the weekends.. I have logged a little over 2 k miles since I got my Blackie in August and I am now hooked. Just put my first mods on last night. More to come on that. Glad to have my KLR and glad to see that there is a community out there that loves KLRs as well. It is a damn shame klr.net went down. That place was like the Library of Congress for KLRs. I will be taking my first little Mini adventure to the Ribtoberfest in Daytona later this month.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

We are just starting out here, so things will take some time, but I am sure the information will be here as it was on the other KLR sites, with the exception of all the profanity. I have high hopes for this site to be a site you wouldn't mind sitting down and sharing with your kids, mom, or anyone else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts