Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to KLRs and actually, my first Kawasaki (which I'll be picking up this Saturday) but not new to motorcycles. Growing up in India, had the chance to learn and ride many antiques (by US Standards) - Royal Enfield, Ideal Jawa, and owned a Suzuki handed down from my dad and a Yamaha. Owned a FZR650 while in Singapore and a V-Star 950 up until a couple of years ago. Never been much of a crotch-rocket guy, and cruisers haven't really been my forte either.

Having always been attracted to trails, and love long rides, I think a Dual Sport is definitely the sweet spot for me. Hoping this KLR will get me places my old Jeep hadn't. Hope to see many of you on the road and getting to know some of you in time.

Thanks for having me on board.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
Welcome aboard interceptor_1972. Enjoy the riding and the reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm up in Weatherford OK. Maybe we could meet up sometime and ride.
Sounds like a plan. I'm usually free on the weekends. Just did a ride to Mena, AR via the Talimena Scenic Byway this past Sunday. I'll be getting ready to put a new rear tire on soon and then, have a plan to ride out to Red River, NM.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I'm usually free on the weekends. Just did a ride to Mena, AR via the Talimena Scenic Byway this past Sunday. I'll be getting ready to put a new rear tire on soon and then, have a plan to ride out to Red River, NM.
Welcome Interceptor_1972,

Are you closer to Tulsa or Dallas ? I graduated H.S. in '72.
You have true KLR riding all around where you live!
Keep that new rear tire at least "70/30" for now...IMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome Interceptor_1972,

Are you closer to Tulsa or Dallas ? I graduated H.S. in '72.
You have true KLR riding all around where you live!
Keep that new rear tire at least "70/30" for now...IMHO
Thank you masterlink.

Actually, I'd be smack dab between the two. It's a good 2.5 - 3 hours to Tulsa or Dallas. Boy, that makes me feel young! You were graduating when I was born!!! :) So far, I haven't found much by way of dirt riding for any length other than just taking back roads from town to town. I love and enjoy being up at elevation - so, the plan is to eventually start heading west toward Red River and Colorado on weekend trips and eventually to do a 10-day trip on the COBDR and several trails along it, next year when I am better prepared!

Matter of fact, I've already wore out my stock new K750 on the rear and ended up ordering a Shinko 244 (front and rear, with new tubes and rim strips - but only installing the rear for now).

Thanks for the tips! Here's a more updated pic of the KLR at Amarillo, TX.
Manoj

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts