Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, new here, but not new to riding. Also have a Buell Ulysses, but that's not really a dual sport. I picked up this Tengai last year and actually advertised it for sale (somebody linked to my post on here!) because I didn't want to bugger up a rare-ish bike riding it the way I want to use it. Well, fortunately, nobody stepped up with the cash or offered a gen 2 KLR in trade (haha) so I'm going to use the ol' girl as she was intended...
This year I'm going to be adding some bits to make it into the bike I want. I have a Corbin seat for it that I'll be adding a heating element to as well as heated grips. K&N air filter, re-jetting, and contemplating an exhaust system as well, but I am not sure I want the noise.
Additionally, I'm looking at adding some crash bars and the Tusk pannier & rack set-up and that's where my questions come in...
Has anybody on here mounted the Tusk set up to a Tengai? I believe they will work, but I do know the side panels are slightly different from a Gen1 KLR.
Also, it appears the SW moto tech crash bars and skid plate will work also, but I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge.
Thanks in advance and think spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Ride,
I'm of near zero help with your fitment questions.

But I will suggest that any Oiled foam OEM, Uni-Filter, Twin-Air, No-Toil, etc is more effective in both ways (filtration & volume) than an oiled K&N Filter in this application. Because of the overall small size of the filter box, with the steel top cap of the K&N filter it looses surface area.

As to exhaust, most currently prefer Veo Vince X3 (No fiberglass Re-packing) or FMF Q4 or Lex. I like quiet/stock with a slightly larger diameter Insert with a turned Down Tip.

Nice Looking Bike & Welcome to the forum.

ps, Haven't I recently seen your bike pics on facebook?

·
Registered
45 Posts
1990 Tengai - West Coast

I just picked up a Tengai here in Oregon and am currently going through it for some Spring riding. You photos of the bike look very nice almost to nice to ride. Mine has 23k miles and a cracked right side fairing which I am fixing with Plast-Fix, amazing repair material. I have used it on several other bikes in the couple of years.
Mine currently has new bash plate and crash guards, I believe they are SW Moto Tech, as well as pelican cases for panniers.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Now we need a Tengai owner from Southern California and another Tengai owner from Florida to post pics from all 4 corners.

Two very well kept examples Gentlemen. Take care of them. And enjoy the Ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts