Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a KLR member yet but I'm keeping my eye open for a good buy in my area. Until one comes along I'll be here reading up on them.

A little about me: Grew up in NC and joined the Army right out of high school. After living in AZ, HI and Iraq I'm now stationed in DC. I've always wanted a bike but never really took the steps in buying one. So this past week I registered for a basic rider course and started researching the kind of bike I want. Based on my budget, 2-3k, I'm sure it will be a gen 1 KLR 650.

If there is anything other than the basic mechanical issues the gen 1s have please let me know.

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service. Looks like you're on the right track. The KLR is easy to work on with a basic tool set and a good manual. The one must do thing is to inspect / replace the Idler Shaft Lever and spring ("Doohickey" as it is affectionately called). Look here. Other than that just cover the basics and ride, ride, ride.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome to the site and the gen I bike has nothing to worry about except the DOO. It doesn't normally suffer the oil issues that are present in the Gen II machines so you are in luck that way. Not saying that you won't be thinking of the 685 kit at some point as a slight increase in power at some point, which is the fix for the oil issues.
Ask away and there are many here who can help with any questions you have.....even down to what oil is best....lol...just kidding, don't ask that....augh!

Once again welcome.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts