Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, group! Greetings from Ontario, Canada.

I am a 30-something professional with a passion for all things two-wheeled. For the last while I have been limited to pedal powered transport, which is cool and I will continue doing (Do they maye bicycle racks to mount on KLRs?), but I am considering a jump back into motorcycles after a ~20 year absence, and I am leaning towards getting a KLR.

There is not a lot of paved road or highway riding to do in my area, but 100s and 100s of kms of gravel fire roads and logging roads that are begging to be explored. A few friends have KLRs and I have tried them out a couple of times and they seem awesome – almost like there is no downside.

I have yet to save up the $$ needed, so I have some time to mull over my options and make sure I am not jumping in too quickly. I figure the longer I wait the newer/nicer bike I can afford, but at some point I will grow tired of waiting… so imagine a curve where a line trending up showing my savings will eventually meet with a line trending down showing my patience 

I look forward to picking your brains and making sure I have the best KLR experience for me when I finally pull the trigger.

Regards,
Repeat Offender

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just bought my first KLR last weekend. Same situation, had enduros in the early 80's in HS and college. Traded in my KZ 550 (in pristine condition) for a new KLR. Just gotta find a shorter seat

·
Registered
8 Posts
U gonne love a KLR

Just jumped back in cycling too and chose the KLR. Glad I did. Just need a way to carry my golf clubs. Hate driving the big pickup just to get my clubs to the course.
Dicklr

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Just jumped back in cycling too and chose the KLR. Glad I did. Just need a way to carry my golf clubs. Hate driving the big pickup just to get my clubs to the course.
Dicklr
I used to have that issue.. But I started catching myself thinking about the bikes that were riding past the golf course and thinking how much I'd rather be on the bike..

I couldn't remember a single time where I was on the bike an rode past a golf course and wished I was golfing.

I donated my clubs to Goodwill..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya Could just pull the staples and cut off some of the foam. Course, then you might want to dish it out a little bit and make it a bit more comfortable than the stock ass hatchet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Sargent seat (low) is very popular with the inseam-challanged. I've got one!

Mac
Mac, I've been looking at Sargent and Corbin, but the seat choices (Sargent in particular) on their website are quite bewildering. What specifically did you go with?

Wren

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, group! Greetings from Ontario, Canada.

I am a 30-something professional with a passion for all things two-wheeled. For the last while I have been limited to pedal powered transport, which is cool and I will continue doing (Do they maye bicycle racks to mount on KLRs?), but I am considering a jump back into motorcycles after a ~20 year absence, and I am leaning towards getting a KLR.

There is not a lot of paved road or highway riding to do in my area, but 100s and 100s of kms of gravel fire roads and logging roads that are begging to be explored. A few friends have KLRs and I have tried them out a couple of times and they seem awesome – almost like there is no downside.

I have yet to save up the $$ needed, so I have some time to mull over my options and make sure I am not jumping in too quickly. I figure the longer I wait the newer/nicer bike I can afford, but at some point I will grow tired of waiting… so imagine a curve where a line trending up showing my savings will eventually meet with a line trending down showing my patience 

I look forward to picking your brains and making sure I have the best KLR experience for me when I finally pull the trigger.

Regards,
Repeat Offender
One thing I would recommend is that you take a motorcycle training class again. After being off motorcycles for that long you will likely need a refresher course. The two times riders are most likely to be in a crash are when they are first starting out or when returning to riding after many years (such as yourself). I can't tell you how many guys "have been riding for 30 years" because they had a bike when they were 20 and haven't touched one since.

For what you are looking for, I think the KLR is an excellent budget-minded choice. On the highway the KLR can easily be topped out and still get passed up by a Prius, but for exploring fire roads, I don't think there's much better -- but of course I just got mine a few months ago and our mountains are still snowed in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mac, I've been looking at Sargent and Corbin, but the seat choices (Sargent in particular) on their website are quite bewildering. What specifically did you go with?

Wren
Mine is the "World Sport Performance Seat" low model. No inserts, no heating element, no special piping. I bought it used from a guy on this forum and I'm very happy with it. I have a 30 inch inseam, and can flatfoot when the bike's at rest. Then again, I weigh 210 pounds...so that helps lower the bike a little as well. I have two friends with KLR's and both have the Sargent seats. The shorter of the two used lowering links as well as the low seat. He has the heated version too...but I think that's for bragging rights... If he reads this, he can answer himself....

Mac

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
The two times riders are most likely to be in a crash are when they are first starting out or when returning to riding after many years (such as yourself). I can't tell you how many guys "have been riding for 30 years" because they had a bike when they were 20 and haven't
There is a particular category for this kind of thinking.

It's called "Wisdom."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, in my case I had access to a variety of scholarly journal archives through my institution, so I started doing some serious research into motorcycle crashes and fatalities - everything from time of year, type of bike, age of the rider, to the color helmet he was wearing at the time. Did you know, for instance, that there is correlation between helmet color and crashes? White helmet owners are 20% less likely to be in a serious crash than any other color.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats funny,
first time I dumped after restarting riding, I was wearing a white helmet. I musta looked like a large angry zit and thats why no one stopped to help me get the bike off of me. Right peg was imbedded in my boot. Luckily I was halfway in my driveway and was able to chew my leg off and hop out of the road and into my flower bed where it was safe.

That aside, great info for those who re new to riding. In my case 15 years of riding, 15 years off, and I used the front break in a sharp turn. Like the commercial says," we all do stupid things".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine is the "World Sport Performance Seat" low model. No inserts, no heating element, no special piping. I bought it used from a guy on this forum and I'm very happy with it. I have a 30 inch inseam, and can flatfoot when the bike's at rest. Then again, I weigh 210 pounds...so that helps lower the bike a little as well. I have two friends with KLR's and both have the Sargent seats. The shorter of the two used lowering links as well as the low seat. He has the heated version too...but I think that's for bragging rights... If he reads this, he can answer himself....

Mac
Thanks Mac, I've got the same inseam and about 6 lbs. on you! Who sells the world sport performance seat? Guess I can Google it as well...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts