Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been riding bikes since I was 11 years old, start with a 70 something Honda XL 175. I have had many bikes over the years and currently have 4 motorcycles (Harley FatBoy, Triumph Daytona 9551, Wr 426 street legal, KLR) and many other man toys that have motors. I recently picked up a 99 KLR 650 that needs some serious TLC. I haven't found any major problems yet and am slowly going over every inch of the bike to make it right. Here is a web site of what the bike used to look like many years before I picked it up: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~lbauer/klr/
This is the way it looked when I got it home:

I had to drag it in my truck since the wheels and forks were off of it.
Here are some other pics in my album:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v170/risktaker/KLR/

The bike came with some farkles and I plan to add some more as I progress through this winter project. I will be relying on this site for a great deal of information and help. I will try to post pics of my progress of the project and welcome any tips or suggestions.

We also have a dualsport club in my Pittsburgh, PA area at: http://rambos.com/forum/ If anyone is local and would like to join us for some rides, just let me know.

I have been working on it to get it in a ride able condition prior to winter settling in. I then will tear it all down over winter and go over everything. I also plan to paint it gloss black instead of flat black. The flat shows everything.

Here is its current condition:

I have been riding it and it runs great. Everything is tight. Only problem is a slight slipping of the clutch. I have ordered some heavier EBC springs and when they arrive; I will install them and also inspect the clutch. Wrenching on bikes is a hobby of mine and I just couldn't pass up this deal.

I will be perusing this site a lot now that I have found it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you put in synthetic oil that could be your clutch slippage.

The good part was, you didn't have to take a lot off to get to work.

Looks great. Congrats and welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you put in synthetic oil that could be your clutch slippage.

The good part was, you didn't have to take a lot off to get to work.

Looks great. Congrats and welcome.

Thanks for the welcome and help. I did put in synthetic Rotella. I read that a lot of people use it without issue. Maybe I will switch it out to regular dino and see what happens. May take a few changes to see results though?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A lot of folks, including me, use Rotella dino oil. I've not run syn in the KLR or any bike, but there's some acecdotal info about increased leakage and clutch slippage with syn.

I would think a long, hot drain down followed by dino oil would probably dilute the syn enough to at least give an indication. The clutch does drain down pretty quickly evidenced by the first gear "clunk". Just my guess.

But hey, based on the history of your bike, if a worn and weak clutch is the only real issue remaining, you've done a great job!!!

edit - if you do drain it, you might want to cycle the clutch a lot while/after it's draining to help the syn come out of the plates. I might turn the engine a few times (with the kill switch on - don't start) with the clutch disengaged to sling out some remaining oil. But just a few revs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of folks, including me, use Rotella dino oil. I've not run syn in the KLR or any bike, but there's some acecdotal info about increased leakage and clutch slippage with syn.

I would think a long, hot drain down followed by dino oil would probably dilute the syn enough to at least give an indication. The clutch does drain down pretty quickly evidenced by the first gear "clunk". Just my guess.

But hey, based on the history of your bike, if a worn and weak clutch is the only real issue remaining, you've done a great job!!!

edit - if you do drain it, you might want to cycle the clutch a lot while/after it's draining to help the syn come out of the plates. I might turn the engine a few times (with the kill switch on - don't start) with the clutch disengaged to sling out some remaining oil. But just a few revs.
Thanks again for the advice. I will probably drain it this weekend as soon as I pick up some new oil. What weight oil would you recommend?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, welcome. I'm in Greensburg, had no idea of a local club. PM me if you like, I would like to hook up with you fellow D/S riders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, welcome. I'm in Greensburg, had no idea of a local club. PM me if you like, I would like to hook up with you fellow D/S riders.

Hi Mike. I grew up in Greensburg and now live in Sewickley, but visit Gbg. often. We are also building a place in the 7 springs resort right now so I plan on doing a lot of DS rides out that way when it's finished. We will have to hook up for some rides. You can contact me through here on pms or email. I check my email every day.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'd think 15/40. I use 20/40 because of the heat here (and that what's I run in the F250), but I don't think it'd be a big deal either way. The top number is what really counts at operating temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again. I just bought some 10 w 40 after a 150 mile Harley ride today in 40 degree weather. brrrrrr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just changed the oil and it seems to be slipping less. I need to ride it longer than 5 minutes to get the fresh oil worked into the clutch. It's a little cold here right now for me to go on another long ride for a second day. Maybe I will get a chance during the week.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts