Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to this website , but not KLR's. I currently own a 2013 R1200GS, unfortunately it has been less than dependable, so I'm thinking of going back to the basics and get a late model KLR and sell the money pit. I had a 2004 KLR that I bought used from a friend. I should have stuck with it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
BMW = Breaks My Wallet?

Just asking...

I went with the KLR because it's simple. Sure, it's under-powered, top-heavy, etc., but it's a bike that fits my style perfectly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW = Breaks My Wallet?

Just asking...

I went with the KLR because it's simple. Sure, it's under-powered, top-heavy, etc., but it's a bike that fits my style perfectly!
Haha. Yes it will eventually break your wallet because you need to open it all the time. :(

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
BMW = Bring More Money

I have a friend that has a BMW 1600 that he sold his GoldWing to get. He would like to have his GoldWing back so you are not alone.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your BMW experience. I had a K1600GTL in the past which I sold a Goldwing for. Absolutely loved the GTL. We had sold my wife's ST1300 to get the boys bikes so she started riding the KLR. Since she was enjoying the KLR and we couldn't dual sport together, I got rid of the GTL and got a R1200GSA. I love it as well and have had no problems with it. I still enjoy getting on the KLR when I can.

BMW = Bring Money With

As they say, the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your BMW experience. I had a K1600GTL in the past which I sold a Goldwing for. Absolutely loved the GTL. We had sold my wife's ST1300 to get the boys bikes so she started riding the KLR. Since she was enjoying the KLR and we couldn't dual sport together, I got rid of the GTL and got a R1200GSA. I love it as well and have had no problems with it. I still enjoy getting on the KLR when I can.

BMW = Bring Money With

As they say, the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. :)
Good luck with your GSA. Truth be told I really like my GS, BUT with all the failures it has experienced, ( 2 blown output shaft seals, soft rear brake pads, cruise control failure, inconsistent clutch engagement, throttle recall, another recall for the output shaft seal) I think you see the issue. Plus it was in the dealer from Mar 31 to June 8th, 10 weeks. Then I had to immediately bring it back because it was over heating. Then 8 days ago, on the very morning I'm leaving with two other riders to go to the Tail of the Dragon, the clutch would not release. I'm lucky the bike is still in warranty otherwise my wallet would be broken.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow, you definitely had a lemon, sorry to hear that!

So far both BMW's have been trouble free. I and some of the guys I ride with had some issues with our Goldwings. Three of us had to replace the shafts, numerous blown fork seals. The original ones last the longest and I eventually went to Race Tech springs and gold valve on the front. Most I know have replaced the rear shock line and put in a braided lines. One guy had an engine bearing go out. The switches tend to go bad eventually also and some had overheating issues. Can't remember the other issues but overall, even with all of this listed, the Goldwing was very reliable and never left me stranded. The ST1300 seemed to be a little bit better quality and fit and finish.

I think just about any bike you buy can have issues, especially if your ride a lot. Most of the general public don't ride many miles per year but the people I know do so they tend to find out any issues quicker than others. For the most part, I think most bikes will be reliable except for the few exceptions like you
experienced.

I hope the KLR works out great for you, we are very happy so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking at a 2006 r1200gs and made the decision to go with a 2007 KLR 650. Definitely more woods worthy and just fine on the street and $6k less expensive....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts