Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Helmet noise......

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Lockjaw 
#1 · (Edited)
This conversation started in the 70 mph thread, post 37, near the bottom of the page http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/52306-70-mph-4.html

I have a noticeable rumbling noise in my helmet while seated and riding at highway speed. The helmet is a brandnew Shoei Hornet X2. When I stand up or even lift my butt just off the seat the noise goes away and the helmet is nearly silent. I have tried moving my head around and the noise remains fairly constant untill I lift my butt off the seat.
I suspect turbulent air off the windshield is being trapped against my front and is released when I raise my butt. I will experiment more tomorrow.
JJ

Reactions: xzatx
#2 ·
Maybe you should get a trials bike so you don't have to sit down!! LOL.

Actually I've heard others complain about the noise level of Shoei helmets. Maybe it's a common issue.

#3 ·
Hi Nick!
Actually I did a lot of research on helmets before I made my choice and this model had very good reviews. I don't spend $700 lightly!! The telltale is how quiet it gets when the turbulent air behind the windshield is released. I have only had the helmet a few days and have just tried it on my 690. I will try the helmet on my Gen2 which has the LaminarLip on it as soon as weather permits.
Best Regards....Jeff

#4 ·
Jeff,

What happens when you shrug your shoulders?

I have a Shoei X-12. When I shrug my shoulders t close the space under the helmet it gets real quiet. Also, if I hold my had up under my ear it gets quiet.

I have one of those basic NOJ things (Quiet Rider Basic Helmet Skirt 129) that helps a lot. I'm thinking about making a sort of neck roll that would be build on the NOJ to see if that will quiet things down.

Tom

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't try shrugging Tom. I will though. I tried my hand all over the helmet looking for changes and didn't notice much difference. I have a taller windshield on the bike and suspect the air coming around the sides is fairly turbulent. I may remove the windshield and see what happens.
JJ

ps...The helmet has a chin skirt but not as substantial as the one you are using Tom.

#6 ·
Yeah, my X-12 came with a chin skirt. I referred to it as a drool-catcher for when I was riding up and down I-5. Wasn't good for much else.

The NOJ makes getting the helmet put on a cast-iron bugger, but it's worth it for anything over 20 minutes. Pull it off before you take the helmet off, then re-install it before putting it back on.

NOJ makes some gaitered things that I've thought about trying.

Tom

#9 ·
its definitely the windshield position/height.

on my GS the windshield is fully adjustable in height,
when i play with its height while riding, i get the same effects at certain windscreen position.

I always set it to lowest position. usually the windscreen should not go higher than your shoulders.

on my harley i dont have any of this, free airflow, no windscreen, no rumbles.

#10 ·
When you stand up its called "clean air". You will get that with virtually any helmet. The best remedy is ear plugs. I have found, regardless of helmet or bike, ear plugs help me hear better while riding, my com system, and greatly reduce my fatigue over a long, noisy ride. Noise in a bad helmet can reach a highly destructive 110 db. Even with plugs this is reduced by only 30db or so so still at 80db.

Reactions: tasman
#11 ·
#12 ·
Hello, I'm new in this forum, i am back to motorcycles after ten years, and new with the KLR650 !!!! great machine !!!

But, I do also have the same issue with turbulent wind in my helmet, making a lot of noise, and when I stand on, the noise dissapears (clean wind flow).

Does anyone have tried something like this, to adjust and redirect the air flow and avoid the turbulence direct in the helmet?
EDIT: as I am new, i can't post links, the "thing" is called mra x-creen variable spoiler, and adjusting it position it claims that the turbulence is redirected out of helmet ???
If anyone have experience with something like that, i would be glad to hear about it.
Thanks
Marcos

#14 ·
What year of bike are you riding?
It does make a fairly Big Difference on which brands of windshield would be recommended by various other members to reduce the Noise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.