Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this is common knowledge and I am stating the obvious, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could polish the scratches out of my helmet face shield quite effectively. Feel free to heckle if so...
I have a hornet ds helmet and the shield was pretty scratched up. I think that the replacements run about $70, so I wanted to see if I could get a bit more life out if it. I used Meguiar's Plastix and it worked as advertised. The shield is like new and visibility is great again. $6 at Kragen.
The company actually makes a product specific to motorcycle plastics & shields, but I couldn't find it locally.

Good stuff.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
KRL-zin -

Gotta try that. I have one of those sorta cheapo helmets (it's DOT and Snell, but cheap) and I can't buy a replacement shield.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, I gotta get on that, too.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dave. I have three shields that need to be cleaned up.
That will save $90ish but got to wonder if the UV protection is retained?

Off subject: did you notice Kragen had tools for sale at 50% off? Kragen was purchased by O'Rielly and they are changing product and name.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pledge works pretty dang well too. Keeps the bugs from sticking as well. I use in on my windshield as well. Oh and the lemony fresh smell is cool too..

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Pledge works pretty dang well too. Keeps the bugs from sticking as well. I use in on my windshield as well. Oh and the lemony fresh smell is cool too..
...and attracts Bees.

Pledge does not polish the plastic though it will clean it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Always used Plexus for cleaning and polishing.. Actually acts more as a wax that fills scratches, rather than removes them. Available pretty much everywhere.. Most bike shops have it and a can lasts a long, long time.

As far as UV protection, it's the plastic/lexan sheild itself that absorbs UV. Polishing it or running it over with a tank doesn't change the UV blockage of the sheild, unless you drill a hole in it to smoke a cigar.. :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Plexus has never repelled water on my face shield. Used to use it all the time. Don't use it anymore since its $15 a can in these parts.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Plexus has never repelled water on my face shield. Used to use it all the time. Don't use it anymore since its $15 a can in these parts.
Steel, I use Plexus on my windshields and it works excellent. I had ascratched up V-Strom windshield and Plexus cleaned it up very well and rain water seemed to slide off nicely. I have used it on my helmet but I could still see the scratches. Plexus is expensive but I like it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Allright Dave, I tried it. No dice. What did you do that I'm not doing. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Followed the instructions?? I have less than no idea.

Seriously though, that's all I did. The shield was scratched up to the point that I figured I had nothing to lose. It was getting hard to see through- especially when the light hit all of the fine scratches.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Trip. I followed the instructions to a T except for using their sponge and rag...used a sock for both??? :ashamed0001:

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
The stuff helps, but won't cure deep scratches.
Works great on the fine scuff lines n' scratches that come with
cleaning the shield with gas station towels dry or rubbing it with
a glove. Pledge too. Both products fill in the little stuff very well.

If yer helmet tips off the seat and rolls around on the pavement
not much is going to help. (I hang my lid on the mirror.)

In the past I've tried WD-40, and car wax. Both help a little but not like
Plex or Pledge. I hear WD over time will fog the glass as will Rain X.

CheapWithClean'Glass

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think maybe it did help with the small scratches. Maybe I should stop throwing my helmet at people. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
OH yeah, a warning. I cleaned all my shields and they all were fine (still some scratches, but no harm). BUT, I have one 'mirrored' shield. Do NOT use it on a mirrored shield. Took the 'mirror' off.

Off to ride! :35a:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts