Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short blurb accompanying this photo stated a friend on a motorcycle had a 70-mph accident involving a bus.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Uh, it's a good thing he stopped sliding when he did...

I've never seen a helmet abraded like that. Weird.

T

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, even though the photo is interesting in itself, I think it's unusual. Could be it happened during an accident, but it was never claimed the guy was wearing it when this happened. It would seem a lot of downward force would need to be exerted over a very long side to do that to a helmet.

Who knows? There's no way I can get more info so I guess the photo just is what it is. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to think this is probably just faked by some prankster.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Seems like there isn't enough damage to the rest of the helmet and too much concentrated in that one spot perfectly. I don't see how a person sliding down the highway would cause only one spot to be in contact for the amount of time required to wear that amount of material away, especially at that angle. I wonder what the other riding gear would have looked like.
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Huh. Only thing I can think is if your head got locked under the bike, or a car or something...that COULD account for the concentrated damage. Maybe. Never seen anything like it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I'm thinking you could damage a helmet like that by holding it against the pavement while laying in the back of a moving pickup truck. Or out the open passenger door of a car maybe. I bet you would have to drag it a lot longer than a person would slide in a 70mph crash to get that amount of damage in one spot. I think it's a hoax.

Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
232 Posts
have to agree. twenty some odd years ago i went down on the highway at about 70mph and while i did have some nice flat spots on the helmet, it was nothing close to that bad. maybe if the helmet was locked to the side of the bike or something........... but even then ??

·
Banned
277 Posts
Looks extremely fake.

That person would have had to have been standing in an off-axis headstand for a LONG time and held exactly in that position for a long time or else it wouldn't be perfectly flat like that without damage to the rest of the helmet - and note there's no deformity in the middle, no holes in the foam that's exposed, and no sag in what must be very, very thin padding only in the middle of that.

If a person was sliding on the ground, or head stuck under a bike and sliding, the sides or back of the helmet would have been worn.
Fake.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
have to agree. twenty some odd years ago i went down on the highway at about 70mph and while i did have some nice flat spots on the helmet, it was nothing close to that bad. maybe if the helmet was locked to the side of the bike or something........... but even then ??
That's what I was thinking too, a spare helmet locked onto the helmet lock (I destroyed my son's helmet doing that once, my bad :(. Then the weight of the bike would be bearing down on one spot of the helmet. And depending where the lock was and how long the straps are...

Scary pic though, glad my head wasn't in it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks repairable to me.. Half a can of bondo & some fiberglass...:-;

But then again I ride a klr so anything looks repairable

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm not buying it either, but the question then is WHY would someone fake something like this? To try and get people to wear helmets? For shits and giggles? To get their anonymous pic scuttled about the net?

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not buying it either, but the question then is WHY would someone fake something like this? To try and get people to wear helmets? For shits and giggles? To get their anonymous pic scuttled about the net?
Could be any of those. Maybe I'll start a new eBay store, buying used helmets and doing this to them with the sales pitch, "I supply the helmet, you supply the shelf to display it on and the story to go with it."

Guy Who Has Never Ridden Before To Girl He Invited Over: "Yeah, I used to ride. I used to ride hard, real hard. until some cager cut me off on my Hyabusa when I was up to about 170. This is the helmet I was wearing when it happened. I'm lucky to be alive, but not as lucky as I was the minute I first saw you."

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Ooooo thats good! Bad but Gooood!:WellDone:
jj

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Could be any of those. Maybe I'll start a new eBay store, buying used helmets and doing this to them with the sales pitch, "I supply the helmet, you supply the shelf to display it on and the story to go with it."

Guy Who Has Never Ridden Before To Girl He Invited Over: "Yeah, I used to ride. I used to ride hard, real hard. until some cager cut me off on my Hyabusa when I was up to about 170. This is the helmet I was wearing when it happened. I'm lucky to be alive, but not as lucky as I was the minute I first saw you."
haha! Damn, that's almost as good as putting armor all on the pilon seat and stopping too fast. :doublethumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts