Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the mods done. Drilled holes in air box,drilled out cap over adjustment screw, seated and backed out 2.5 turns. Pulled slide and drilled 7/64ths, added two #4 washers to needle. Runs better but the pipe is getting too hot. Too lean I guess. Whats my next move?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is it pinging on acceleration or popping on deceleration? How many holes did you put in the airbox?

what do you mean by pinging?
mine gets like a fast tapping noise when i try to accelerate under load or when im near the bottom of a gear. is that what you are referring to? or have you heard of that?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Pinging or predetonation usually happens when the motor is under the greatest load (5th gear) and roll into full throttle at around 4000 RPM. The motor will start making a sound like a couple of pennies shaken in a soda can. The noise will get worse until you ease up on the throttle. What is happening is the fuel mix is too lean and combusts before being ignited by the sparkplug. The cure is usually either adjusting the needle or going up a size on the mainjet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, where is the best place to pick one up? I know its in the forum somewhere but after my 2nd 12 hour shift feeling kinda lazy:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Slo-klr is correct in that pre-ignition (or detonation) also called spark knock, is from the fuel/air mixture self igniting prior to the spark plug's well timed lighting of the fire. I am not sure if it is actually from a lean condition though.
Typically this happens at lower rpm, high heat, heavy load conditions, in large combustion chambers. It is actually deiseling if you will.
This is where higher octane ratings help. That is what high octane fuel is for.

Ya'll might try premium grade gasoline, if you're not using it already.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Kent you are right and a higher octane fuel will do the trick if the a/f ratio is right. If it's not the higher octane will lessen but won't eliminate the pinging.
Modifying the airbox many times feeds the motor too much air even with the 22c mod. A lean mixture burns hotter so the motor is running at a higher temp. An overly lean mix(full throttle at mid rpms) ignites easily from the excess heat. It took me a while to get my carb set up right with the L-mod in the airbox.
Another thing you can do is plug one hole at a time until thing pinging is gone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread but I think we're onto something here..

What if i haven't made any holes in the airbox? I have only pulled the snorkle out, and put in a UNI air filter. (all of these mods were done this spring - valves, .22 mod, UNI, snorkle) And.. the bike did do the pinging last year as well.

I am going to try 93 octane fuel, unfortunately I just filled up!

Would anyone happen to know the stock jet in an '05 and what to go to for fixing this problem?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
schitz racing is were i get my jets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well time for an update. I got the L mod done (3 holes), uni filter, 22cent mod with a 150 jet, cut out the baffle and I'll tell ya the bike is running great! Seems the 150 jet cured the hot pipe. Cutting out the baffle made it sound like a real thumper, not too loud, just right. And yes I can pull a wheelie with a snap of the throttle and a little tug on the bars. Put some highway bars on it for drop protection. Done for now, just going to enjoy the bike. Thanks again for all the help, what a great site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts