Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im glad i finally joined a KLR forum! but anyways. i have a 2000 klr and it ran great last summer. i put it away for the winter and now the other day i finally get it out and im driving down the road and it just stalls out. to get it re started i had to open the throttle all the way up and start it?! i havent touched it since winter so i know i didnt adjust something wrong or anything. it fires right up after its cold, but after a few minutes it'll just putter off and stall. i also noticed the rpm's higher than usual when its just idoling. i tried letting it run with the gas cap off and it still does the same thing, the air cleaner is fine. im guessing its a fuel problem. could the float be sticking in the carb?? or a fuel filter? i need to get it runnin asap since i have to take my driving test soon. any advice will be appriciated. thanks--snuffy

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Did you use Stabil in the fuel last fall? Did you drain the carb? Is there fresh fuel in the tank?

What I would do is fill the tank with fresh fuel if you haven't. Add either Sea Foam or a bottle of Chevron Techron additive. Then drive it till that tank of fuel is gone. Should be good after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did not use any stabil over the winter nor did drain the carb... i did put fresh gas in it though and it still does it. im thinking about taking the carb off the bike and cleaning it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you use Stabil in the fuel last fall? Did you drain the carb? Is there fresh fuel in the tank?

What I would do is fill the tank with fresh fuel if you haven't. Add either Sea Foam or a bottle of Chevron Techron additive. Then drive it till that tank of fuel is gone. Should be good after that.
I'm with you on this one. I keep minimal fuel left in my tank, add a stabilizer, ride around a little to get thorough everything, then add a fresh tank of fuel when I'm ready to ride in the spring. Bikes usually not started from Nov-March. Seems to work.

Also I learned not to start it during the winter. Seems to just kill the battery and foul the plugs.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
i did not use any stabil over the winter nor did drain the carb... i did put fresh gas in it though and it still does it. im thinking about taking the carb off the bike and cleaning it.

Do what I recommended before you go yanking the carb. Why do something difficult when for $10 you can try fix it on the bike??!!

Fresh gas is one thing but leaving unstabilized fuel sitting in a carb over the winter can gum up a carb.

I used to have a couple of Honda CBX's, 6 carbs and never had an issue. Full tank of gas with Stabil, run it through the carbs, and let it sit for the winter. In the spring syphon out the old fuel, put it in the wife's car, fresh fuel in the bike and fire it up no problem. When I sold the bike the new owner called in the spring with carb problems. Put in a bottle of Techron, road it off and all was good.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Also I learned not to start it during the winter. Seems to just kill the battery and foul the plugs.
Rusts out your exhaust system too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah you need to pull the carb and clean it up. do a search for 22 cent mod while you have it apart.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm with KLR4evr. Seafoam. Then let it get complicated. It might not have too. Seafoam is cheap and easy.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Sea-Foam is easy to find and does the job. It might take 2-3 tanks to be 100% but it will get it done.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
AND NEXT FALL don't forget to put the bike away properly.. It'll save you time and hassle in the spring..

I tossed in 3 oz. of Stabil and filled all the bikes, rode them 10 miles to get it throughout the system when I put them away last fall.. All of them started instantly this spring, even my grumpy BMW Airhead which can be grumpy in 90 degree weather when everything's perfect..

And just do the simple things first.. If Seafoam doesn't work, then be concerned about tearing the carb off..

One other item.. If your gas tank pressure release button isn't working, you might be getting a vacuum in the tank and not getting fuel to the carb..

This is in your gas cap, and is the thing that whines when the tank's hot in the summer.. WEeeeeeee.. One way to test for this is to leave your cap loose and see if it's doing the same thing that it's been doing, in the same amount of time.

If it dies with the cap open, you've eliminated that possibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ha your right...i should go buy that sea foam stuff before i start pulling out my hair in frustration... where can i buy that stuff at? i have a motorcycle shop near me i could try?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
where can i buy that stuff at? i have a motorcycle shop near me i could try?

A local MC shop should have it.. I don't think I've been to a Walmart that didn't have it.. 16oz. can.. White with red and black printing.. Near fuel additives. Less than $10..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sounds like snake oil, but I've watched it turn bikes that are running like crap into smooth operating equipment..

And since you're trying to clean a carb, don't be afraid to use a bit more than recommended.. :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It helped bring my old honda back to fighting trim. Every once in a while I dump a can in the tank of both bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Sea-Foam also helps when you get bad gas. Shot of Sea-Foam and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I would suggest you do ONE diagnostic at a time. I also strongly suggest you do NO modifications until you have the bike running as it was when you parked it last fall. Should one of the modifications "not blossom as brightly as was expected", you won't have to go back and undo everything trying to find out why the bike does not run.

First, it sounds like the bike was running fine when you parked it. That would imply that mechanically, the carburetor is still mechanically OK, just possibly gummed up. Usually, that takes place in one of two places, or both places, depending on how long the bike sits. Those places being the bowl and the main jet.
First, I would drain the carb bowl. There is a screw at the bottom of the bowl, at the drain port. You can catch this gasoline with a 1/4" hose from the port hole to a clean clear jar. Examine it for "floaters". The bowl is a collection point for contaminants and water. Re-install the drain port screw and crank the engine over. If your bike is all stock, you should have a vacuum fuel delivery to the carburetor bowl. By cranking the engine or allowing the engine to start and run, the vacuum system should refill the float bowl in a matter of seconds. Repeat the bowl drain process. If there was water or crap in the bowl, it should be pretty well flushed out now. Ride it. Take the hex / allen driver with you. If the bike stumbles, stop and drain the bowl one more time. Ride. If you are finding the stumble at low and mid range, the main jet probably is gummed up. Sea Foam or Chevron Techron Gas Additive is your friend. ChemTool B-12 Gas Treatment Carb Cleaner works well, too. All available at car parts stores, Wal Mart, and possibly some taverns. Be patient. get a strong dose into the carburetor and let it sit overnight. Let the chemicals do their job. I have made a lot of money the past 20 years addressing this same issue with the same CV40 carburetor on Harley Davidson's that were parked for the winter without being prepared. Rarely did one have to be taken apart that was running well when it was parked less than 6 or 7 months prior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts