Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just changed the oil in my 2011. let it warm up and after I checked it looked like this. What the Hell did I do wrong? it clears up after about an hour or so.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Honestly can't tell. Two possibilities:

1. Best-case scenario; merely atmospheric condensation being expelled/evaporated from oil in crankcase, and:

2. Worse-case scenario, oil coolant-contaminated from blown headgasket or waterpump seal . . .

Other possibilities may exist; more knowledgeable forum members may comment.

Can't think of anything done in a routine oil change to create the phenomenon, myself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not uncommon. Run it till it gets hot. Take it out for a decent ride. If its just a bit of moisture in the motor and will burn off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode it last night and it was clear afterwards, today I rode it and it looked fine afterwards also. It appears that if I start the motor and stop it after about 2 minutes of running, that's when it does that. but after long rides it looks fine. Thank you for the help. One other thing. the oil level is to be checked when the bike is cold and it should be around the top line or just under correct?

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I rode it last night and it was clear afterwards, today I rode it and it looked fine afterwards also. It appears that if I start the motor and stop it after about 2 minutes of running, that's when it does that. but after long rides it looks fine. Thank you for the help. One other thing. the oil level is to be checked when the bike is cold and it should be around the top line or just under correct?
Just looks like bubbles in the oil to me :).

For the correct oil level I go by where it is when you change the oil and filter and put in the recommended 2.5 liters... Right at the top of the window. I add a little at a time until the bubble just disappears.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Ya' I'd have to agree. Looks like aeration and not that slimy, milky look that goes along with condensation or coolant contamination.

I had a Kaw Z-1 once that I had the same thing happen to after an oil change. I'd used a Pennzoil racing oil when that occured, dumped it, went back to the Castrol and it never happened again. Coincidence or something else I can't say.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 2011. let it warm up and after I checked it looked like this. What the Hell did I do wrong? it clears up after about an hour or so.
I'm no expert, but mine looks kinda like this right after I change it, too. (I notice right after I fill it up and run the bike for a minute before topping off.) But then it stops looking like that until the next oil change.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
OK, admit it. You put a protein shake in the oil to make the bike a speed monster. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looks to me like the oil was just aerated, send an oil sample into your local lab and they will tell you down to the micron what is going on. Most heavy equipment dealers will conduct samples regularly and can provide you with the bottle. Simple procedure really and costs less than $20 but can conceivably save a huge headache.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts