Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Last week my valve shims arrived. I started to take my fairings and tank off yesterday evening after work.

I intended to only take of the fairings etc, and leave everything else until this morning. But, last night I decided to remove my cam chain tensioner. The gasket broke last time I removed the tensioner, so I put some silicon on the surface, knowing it would not be long before I had a replacement gasket. So, I removed the chain tensioner to clean off the silicon.

This morning, I took the valve cover off. I then proceeded to put the set the engine to TDC. I heard some clicking noises from the cam shafts. I had a look and saw the arrows were not facing the same direction! The chain tensioner was not in, so the chain was slack, this allowed the sprockets on cam shafts to jump the chain.

I thought this would be no big problem. My plan was to take the cam shafts off, put the engine in TDC and then put the Shafts in TDC position after I changed the shims.

That is where my problems started. I can't put the engine in TDC.

There is abnormal resistance when I rotate the crankshaft. I rotated the engine about half to three quarters of a turn of the spanner. the resistance began to increase, as if I was pushing the piston through the compression stroke, but then felt solid resistance. Something is wrong.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks guys

Kind Regards

Matthew

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
194 Posts
You may have already checked but I know when something seems really wrong, I would get tunnel vision and miss it... did you bump the shift lever while turning over the engine? It may just be in gear, hopefully!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have already checked but I know when something seems really wrong, I would get tunnel vision and miss it... did you bump the shift lever while turning over the engine? It may just be in gear, hopefully!
Thanks for your advice, but, unfortunately, it's not that simple.... it is in neutral

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Let's be clear on a couple of things. are the cams out? If so, is the cam chain supported so that it cannot bunch up around the crankshaft?

If the cams are not out and the chain has jumped time, then you may be trying to turn the engine over with the valves hitting the piston. If the cams are out but the cam chain is not held up it can get wrapped around the crank or bunch up such that it jams at the crankshaft.

Also, have you blown clear and/or vacuumed the spark plug well and loosened the spark plug so that you're not turning against compression?

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,399 Posts
My bet is the timing chain got bunched up and jammed. You need to hold that chain up while rotating the crank if the cams have been removed.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
LIFT the cam chain UP and rotate the crankshaft clock-wise or fore & aft til the chain LIFTS up a bit.
Hold the chain fully up and rotate the crankshaft to TDC and reinstall the exhaust camshaft first, arrow just above level.
Proceed with reassembly.

Reactions: timberfoot

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello guys, and thanks for your advice!

The Cams were out, the chain was bunched up, and I released it by rotating the crankshaft clockwise a bit, and pulling on the chain a bit. I then held the chain fully up, rotated the crankshaft to TDC reinstalled the cam shafts, exhaust first and continued with reassembly. No more issues, well, I put the bearing caps on before replacing the chain guard..., but apart from that, no issues..
As usual, KLR forum has some very helpful guys offering some very helpful advice!

By the way, my valve clearances are all just on the upper tolerance except the right hand exhaust, which was .009 rather than .010, but still good.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Kind regards

Matthew

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LIFT the cam chain UP and rotate the crankshaft clock-wise or fore & aft til the chain LIFTS up a bit.
Hold the chain fully up and rotate the crankshaft to TDC and reinstall the exhaust camshaft first, arrow just above level.
Proceed with reassembly.
Right on the money as usual!

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
IMO, .001" - 0015" below maximum spec is better than being .0005" Beyond max spec.
And I think that we all have probably installed both LH bearing caps & oil pipe at least Once on the '96+ bikes, before seeing our error.

Glad that you got it done. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts