Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! First post around here.

I'm a European bike guy kinda guy and mainly ride KTM and Ducati. But I've also had a few Kawis over the years and think they're great motos.

Yesterday I was at a BBQ with some good family friends and they told me about a bike they came across hiding deep in a garage. It's part of the estate of a recently deceased family member of theirs.

Supposedly the reg sticker on the plate says 96 so it should be out of CAs DMV system. they gave me a few pics of what looks like the VIN and an engine stamp, don't think thats an engine number though. They also had one, dark, photo of the bike off in the background...looks like a KLR to me but I could be mistaken, sadly I don't have that pic. I do have some others though which I've attached.

Sticker on the frame says KL600B but that number was used for a variety of bikes if my limited Googling proves correct?

They've offered this thing to me for free, all I have to do is drive an hour to pick it up. They will give a bill of sale. I've wrenched on a lot of old thumpers over the years so I'm sure could get it going. Supposedly ran perfect with about 18k miles on the clock when it was parked. And was fired up briefly in 2005ish.

So I'd love to hear what you can tell me about it and if it's worth my time. I've been thinking about picking something up for fire roads and maybe some camping...maybe this could do the job?

(Well I guess I can't post pics or links...)

Visible numbers are:

Sticker on steering head: JKAKL4B1 4FA000058 (KL600B)
Stamp on Motor: 0.564e

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
What you apparently have access to there, is a 1985 KL600-B1 (KLR600).
Second year for the KL600, but now with Electric start. (1st year was KL600-A1, kickstart only.) Therefore the model # change from A to B.

The 600 was actually only 564cc of displacement. or 0.564liter on the cylinder base casting. They are a more dirt oriented bike than the KLR650 series, but will easily run 70mph all day long if desired/required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What you apparently have access to there, is a 1985 KL600-B1 (KLR600).
Second year for the KL600, but now with Electric start. (1st year was KL600-A1, kickstart only.) Therefore the model # change from A to B.

The 600 was actually only 564cc of displacement. or 0.564liter on the cylinder base casting. They are a more dirt oriented bike than the KLR650 series, but will easily run 70mph all day long if desired/required.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get more pics of it sent over. Impossible to tell what kind of shape it's in from what I've seen. About all I can tell is it's white and the tank and seat are off of it.

Anything I should be looking out for on these?

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get more pics of it sent over. Impossible to tell what kind of shape it's in from what I've seen. About all I can tell is it's white and the tank and seat are off of it.

Anything I should be looking out for on these?
It would be a good thing to install an Eagle Mfg (Eagle Mike) Doo-hickey with Torsion spring into the Engine Balancer chain adjuster system, because the original balancer adjuster locking lever (doo-hickey) is just a soft steel stamped metal part which is Very Easily distorted by exceeding the 69 inch pounds of recommended torque on the locking bolt.

Check that the foam air filter was properly oiled way back when and not dry, therefore sucking dust and destroying the engine cylinder, piston, rings & valves. Air filter box may currently be a 'mouse nest' and the filter chewed up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be a good thing to install an Eagle Mfg (Eagle Mike) Doo-hickey with Torsion spring into the Engine Balancer chain adjuster system, because the original balancer adjuster locking lever (doo-hickey) is just a soft steel stamped metal part which is Very Easily distorted by exceeding the 69 inch pounds of recommended torque on the locking bolt.

Check that the foam air filter was properly oiled way back when and not dry, therefore sucking dust and destroying the engine cylinder, piston, rings & valves. Air filter box may currently be a 'mouse nest' and the filter chewed up.
So the doohickey is a problem on these to eh? Is it the exact same part that's available for the later KLR650s? Was chatting direct with the family member this morning...sounds like they really want this gone so it may be happening in the next few weeks.

How's parts availability on these? Every bike of this age I've ever messed with has needed at minimum a new petcock, air filter and a carb rebuild. I'm hoping the tank isn't a rusted out hulk either...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bike

Just get it! No matter what condition it's in, you should be able to re-sell it for parts, if nothing else. If it turns out to be fixable, you will have made out like a bandit at the asking price. (Free)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've requested more info and pictures twice now. Still no response from them...we'll see if this actually goes through or not. I'm starting to have my doubts. Will def let you all know if I do end up with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well finally got some more info and pictures today. Looks like the bike is in pretty good shape for sitting a few decades. They say the tank and "other body stuff" is there, just not pictured. Chance I might get it this weekend, if not it'll have to wait a few weeks due to a busy schedule.

Pics in the link:

photos.app.goo.gl/8rba6QpOO1gTtawx2

photos.app.goo.gl/8rba6QpOO1gTtawx2

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm with larry31. Unless you have to drive a tank to go get it, your way ahead. Even if it turns out to be a ford pinto! 20$ is 20$'s

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would love to own that bike. Not kidding even a little bit. I'd jump on that with both feet and fight anyone that tried to stop me. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Messed around with it a bit this last week before ordering a bunch of parts. All the electrics work and the bike cranks and has spark but it wouldn't catch. I pulled the carb and found it to be completely gummed up...no real surprise there. Also the master cylinder is completely seized and the front brake pads are shot. Air filter literally crumbled to dust in my hand. Also for some reason the petcock is gone (I found the filler cap).

Sooooo one big parts order later I had a pile o packages sitting on my desk at work. Carb rebuild kit, new master cylinder, new pads and a new filter. Petcock will be here next week but I've rigged a bottle solution to get gas to the carb in the meantime.

I disassembled and soaked the carb overnight in a 1:2 mixture of pine sol and water. Finished cleaning it up with a toothbrush and rag and then put it back together with the rebuild kit.
Haven't had a chance to try and start it again and won't until next week as I'm going camping but things are coming together! By the way is there a trick to getting these carbs back in? Was a total pain in the ass and took almost an hour for me to get it in there right.

And some good news!, the title for the bike has been found along with the original manual. This will simplify the DMV paperwork substantially. Maybe I'll have a good plated running bike here in a few weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It Runs! Put some gas in with a bottle I have rigged up and it fired after after some cranking. Was way easier to get going than I thought it would be, then again with a completely refreshed carb I suppose it should have been easy.

It's getting very close to test ride worthy. I gave it an oil and filter change after this video was shot. Last night I replaced the master cylinder and flushed out the line and caliper before refilling with some fresh DOT3 and putting on new brake pads. The only bigish job left is to clean out the tank, I've decided to go the electrolysis route on that one. After that, it's install new petcock, turn signals, the new battery and then take it for a spin :)

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
It Runs! Put some gas in with a bottle I have rigged up and it fired after after some cranking. Was way easier to get going than I thought it would be, then again with a completely refreshed carb I suppose it should have been easy.

It's getting very close to test ride worthy. I gave it an oil and filter change after this video was shot. Last night I replaced the master cylinder and flushed out the line and caliper before refilling with some fresh DOT3 and putting on new brake pads. The only bigish job left is to clean out the tank, I've decided to go the electrolysis route on that one. After that, it's install new petcock, turn signals, the new battery and then take it for a spin :)

youtube.com/watch?v=5CsFbWVGm4E&feature=youtu.be
5 more postings before your attached video or pics will work.
Not my doin', I know nothing about 'how', just the forum program, I guess.

Glad to read/hear that it 'runs'.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
ClutchAbuse,
It is a starter jet or enricher jet, Cold Start lever. Not a choke plate type carb.
Opening the throttle too early defeats the opening of the starter jet system by allowing air to pass under the throttle plate, instead of over the starter jet passage.

The idle speed screw may have originally been a little too closed. (I like to see a 'hole and a half' of the pilot outlets at the bottom edge of the throttle plate, after carb cleaning.) But normally one should "fully enrichen" (choke) the lever. Hit and Hold the starter button engaged until the engine has made 3 or 4 full revolutions, before even 'twitching' the throttle open, for a successful cold start.

There is no accelerator pump either, so twisting the throttle a time or two before engaging the starter button would not help on this carb either. ( I did Not see you do this in the video, but if I don't mention it, someone will suggest it!)

Good to hear it RUN!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ClutchAbuse,
It is a starter jet or enricher jet, Cold Start lever. Not a choke plate type carb.
Opening the throttle too early defeats the opening of the starter jet system by allowing air to pass under the throttle plate, instead of over the starter jet passage.

The idle speed screw may have originally been a little too closed. (I like to see a 'hole and a half' of the pilot outlets at the bottom edge of the throttle plate, after carb cleaning.) But normally one should "fully enrichen" (choke) the lever. Hit and Hold the starter button engaged until the engine has made 3 or 4 full revolutions, before even 'twitching' the throttle open, for a successful cold start.

There is no accelerator pump either, so twisting the throttle a time or two before engaging the starter button would not help on this carb either. ( I did Not see you do this in the video, but if I don't mention it, someone will suggest it!)

Good to hear it RUN!
Thanks for the info but I have bigger problems now. For some reason there is no spark anymore.

Literally one minute to the next, I changed nothing with the electrical system or ignition system.

I pulled the coil and checked all the connections...everything seems fine. I took apart the spark plug wire and it all seems good as well. I removed the resistor in the wire and replaced it with a bit of metal just to see if that had gone bad, but no, nothing. Super frustrating!

Any Ideas? New Coil? New CDI? I'm really not interested in dumping a ton of cash into this bike chasing an electrical gremlin.

EDIT: Well It seems both are not very expensive and considering I paid nothing for the bike I guess it's worth it. Would like some opinions before opening my wallet though.

Found this:

automotivepartsfactory.com/p/Caltric-Cdi-Module-Fits-Kawasaki-Kl600-Klr600-600cc-Engine-1985-1986-Motorcycle-93064222.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5PDLBRB0EiwAh-27MiOQsNy3cl6hy1TRT_eQpwEdTFl3840X7lBBr3QC5w9OK_qbAiX5RRoCz6cQAvD_BwE

And this:

ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITION-COIL-FOR-KAWASAKI-KLR600-KL600-ZZR250-EX250-MOTORCYCLE-84-85-86-07-/172719020408?hash=item2836db1978

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well persistence pays off!

I replaced both the coil and the CDI and got spark but the bike would just sputter and not start.

I let the bike sit for a while while I took care some other things but was thinking about what could be wrong. It was so obvious, the new aftermarket CDI I bought was garbage. I popped the old one back in and it fired right up. Only the coil had gone bad. The readings in the CDI don't match whats in the manual but whatever...I just put 5 trouble free miles on the bike. Only thing that needs attention is the speedo cable, it shrieks over 40mph. I'll have that taken care of in no time. Everything else works like a charm. Bike shifts easy and accurately, clutch is smooth. Brakes.......work haha. I've been spoiled by dual disk, dual piston Brembos for quite a while now, it did get better as it started to bed in and the crap started to wear off the rotor.

All in all very pleased with myself! Here's the vid of its first ride in 21 years.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B74n5zSfHlifbDdtV2JLT05HNm8/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B74n5zSfHlifbDdtV2JLT05HNm8/view?usp=sharing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts