Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version:
My bike is 1 mile off the top of Imogene Pass. I'm hoping someone nearby has pick up, some free time tomorrow (Wednesday) and a heart of gold! I will happily give you $100 for your troubles if you can help solve mine.

My phone number 719-502-9045

Overly long version:
I've been buzzing around the hills for days and having a great time. I was going to head over to Colorado National monument but thought I'd run up Imogene Pass before heading back to the flatlands.

As I neared the top I had a series of unfortunate events. First the master cylinder on the rear brake went. Not good on steep dirt roads, but ok, I can handle that. I had a very minor spill, but didn't notice the fan shroud was dinged and stopping the fan. The motor drove the fan until it melted the drive. The engine began to overheat and the clutch faded badly.

I pulled over and let it cool while I looked at the problem. Fortunately I had tools enough to remove all the bits and fabricate what I needed out of epoxy. Put it all back together on my now cold bike. Still no power from the clutch.

I changed the clutch a couple of weeks ago and have done 500 or so miles since and it's been fine. It feels like it did before I changed it, not pulling at all. Only the slightest feeling of drive. I tried riding it but with no rear brake and no clutch it was a nightmare, falling every 50 feet. I just turned 40, I don't seem to be able to take that abuse anymore.

So as the last 4 wheelers were heading down, I had to admit defeat and hoped a ride down. Leaving my bike on the hill, alone, surrounded by lions and coyotes and bears.

I'm beaten up, tired and defeated. I'm going to see if I can find some local help, but if anyone is nearby and willing to help out, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Simon

·
Registered
376 Posts
Asking the one guy I know in CO, but I don't know if he's near enough to you.

Weird the clutch would fade, too. I wonder what's up with that.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
One possibility, the clutch may have worn and the cable may be too tight holding the clutch partially disengaged. That is a wildass guess and I am sure SyCo would have checked the cable freeplay when he had trouble with the clutch.
Regards....justjeff

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Unfortunately RockiesKLR hasn't been on here for almost a year so you may strike out there.

Not knowing the geography of the area what is the closest town/city where you are holed up?

Situations like this is where the Gold Book I get with my membership in the GWRRA (Goldwing Riders) is really a benefit. Book contains contact info for every member and what they can do to help broken down by city and state. I take it everywhere even on the KLR.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hmmmm... Never thought to look up his user stats, He was just an example anyway, there are other members near there.
No reply from SyCo, wonder if he got it sorted.
Rereading the original post the description of how the clutch is working is confusing. Not clear if it is engaging or not.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hope you got it all figure out. But if not let me know I'm not to far and could make the trip.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
He may have limited Internet access as he left a phone number in his first post.

He hasn't been back on here to check the thread either so maybe he got it sorted.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
While it's my custom to provide aid to all who need it within my range, capability, and availability, regardless of make, model, or TYPE (i.e., motorcycle or automobile) of vehicle (I've DONE it), the operators can contribute responsibly to their welfare also, IMHO.

I'm not adverse to scrambling forum members for the purpose of rendering aid, but--the riders can make their own responsible contributions to their welfare, as well, I think.

For example, the American Motorcyclists Association (AMA) includes in its member benefits, ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE ((800) AMA-JOIN (800-262-5646)). Vehicle insurance policies may carry roadside assistance endorsements, also.

We must have insurance (or otherwise prove financial responsibility) to ride public roads. Some forum members have health and accident insurance (even BEFORE Obamacare); maybe life insurance. Is roadside assistance coverage desirable? If not, what's the down side?

Again, nothing wrong with lending a hand to a fellow forum member in genuine need, but . . . roadside service coverage has its place also, IMHO; YMMV! :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
im here in fountain if you need help still .

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
While it's my custom to provide aid to all who need it within my range, capability, and availability, regardless of make, model, or TYPE (i.e., motorcycle or automobile) of vehicle (I've DONE it), the operators can contribute responsibly to their welfare also, IMHO.

I'm not adverse to scrambling forum members for the purpose of rendering aid, but--the riders can make their own responsible contributions to their welfare, as well, I think.

For example, the American Motorcyclists Association (AMA) includes in its member benefits, ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE ((800) AMA-JOIN (800-262-5646)). Vehicle insurance policies may carry roadside assistance endorsements, also.

We must have insurance (or otherwise prove financial responsibility) to ride public roads. Some forum members have health and accident insurance (even BEFORE Obamacare); maybe life insurance. Is roadside assistance coverage desirable? If not, what's the down side?

Again, nothing wrong with lending a hand to a fellow forum member in genuine need, but . . . roadside service coverage has its place also, IMHO; YMMV! :)
I agree Damoclese but for this.....In my experience roadside means ROADSIDE. Not several miles into the outback. Some policies won't even cover if the vehicle needs winching out of the ditch.
The definition is what can be safely traveled in a recovery vehicle on public roads. This is something people need to check on their policies before finding out the hard way. Some policies also have a distance limit and you will be charged by the mile once that is exceeded. Some also stipulate they will only deliver a vehicle to the nearest repair facility, not the facility of your choice. The policy needs to be reviewed and understood before it is needed or purchased even.

Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
As a note SyCo's last activity on the forum was the initial post. He has not been back since so has not even received the replies.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Thanks for all the replies, sorry I was not able to post sooner, as klr4evr guessed, I didn't have access to the net. I found a guy who was happy to take his truck up the pass and help me out.

Got it down patched it up and rode it home, camped near BV on the way. Got in yesterday with 30 minutes to clean up and get to work. Got home after 9pm and at 10pm, a car drove through my neighbors yard, hitting her house! Fortunately no one hurt but cops and aftermath went on till late. So this really is the first chance I've had to post anything.

Recovery policies don't cover 4x4 roads typically. I have roadside recovery, but it's usually hundreds of dollars to get a recovery from where I was. So I thought I might find someone to help me out and make some cash. I wouldn't expect anyone to help me out for free, so offered what I could afford right now.

Still not sure what's up with the clutch, I had to adjust it all the way out to get it to bite. Weird as it was adjusted fine before the spill. All looked fine, with cable routing and nothing bent out of shape. I'll investigate further when I can, but for now I'm just glad to be home!

Thanks again for your attention to my thread, and I sincerely appreciate the offers for help.

Simon

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home OK! I will be interested to hear what you find with the clutch.
Best Regards....justjeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts