Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right message thread.

I have a 2007 KLR650 and the exhaust cam "holders" came loose and grenaded the top end of my motor. I have priced the parts to fix the issue online and they are $1,500 + to order the parts.
I use this bike to get to work and need to get it up and running soon.

Thanks in advance.
Pete

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can buy an entire used motor for that.

I know reconditioned heads (top ends) are also available.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Hope this is the right message thread.

I have a 2007 KLR650 and the exhaust cam "holders" came loose and grenaded the top end of my motor. I have priced the parts to fix the issue online and they are $1,500 + to order the parts.
I use this bike to get to work and need to get it up and running soon.

Thanks in advance.
Pete
"Holders" = cam caps, I reckon.

If the camshaft journals in the head are boogered, you'll need a replacement head (or prohibitively expensive machining). E-bay and other marketplaces occasionally list used KLR650 heads (as well as complete engines); a WTB ("want to buy") message in a motorcycle website or two might be lucrative.

And . . . motorcycle, "DISMANTLERS," exist; businesses dealing in used parts. Might check them out.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It's often best to have your location in your post so that someone close by knows to offer support.

FWIW, either the engine was run out of oil or someone left the cam bearing caps loose because they don't come loose on their own.

Thanks. I will start searching for a used head or full motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts