Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, a Happy 4th to ya'll.

I am working on a fella's 2007 KLR that has a bum ignition switch, so it's being replaced. Since the key set is also used for the helmet lock and gas cap, those need to be swapped out.

Helmet lock has been replaced, but am running into a problem with the new tumbler set for the gas cap. I would have thought that once the cap was disassembled the old tumbler set would easily pop right out. That's not the case.

Any words of wisdom for getting out the old tumbler set so I can get the new one in?

TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have the cylinder in your hand stick new key in the tumblers that stick out past the cylinder lightly file flush.......there is a spring loader pin you depress to remove cylinder( don't file it ..it acts as a keeper for the cylinder)

take your time and don't loose the tiny
springs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the cylinder in your hand stick new key in the tumblers that stick out past the cylinder lightly file flush.......there is a spring loader pin you depress to remove cylinder( don't file it ..it acts as a keeper for the cylinder)

take your time and don't loose the tiny
springs
Appreciate it, but that's what I'm looking for.... that "magic" pin you depress to get the old tumbler set out.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's on the end spring loaded only goes down far enough to let cylinder come out
Admittedly, I can be as thick as a brick sometimes, but I swear I can see nothing of a depress-able pin, or access to one.

What I am seeing:......

Never mind. Fookin' site won't allow me to post to my smugmug pages. :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Admittedly, I can be as thick as a brick sometimes, but I swear I can see nothing of a depress-able pin, or access to one.

What I am seeing:......

Never mind. Fookin' site won't allow me to post to my smugmug pages. :-(
Smugmug link sent via PM.

Really appreciate your trying to help.

Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!

Much thanks to Kwoody and Tom for pointing out the vent repair link with pictures put up by Jeff Saline.

Coincidentally, I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff in 2006 up in Hill City, SD when I was up there for a COG Rally..... on my KLR. Had full intentions of trying to complete the GDR that went awry the year before when I broke my collarbone up in MT. Jeff wisely talked me out of it and pointed out some nice forest roads in and around Hill City.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but my impression has long been that he's good people.

T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but my impression has long been that he's good people.

T
He is good people. Originally "met" him on the Yahoo DSN_KLR650 Forum where we chatted back and forth about stuff. Made arrangements to hook up when I went to Hill City for the rally, and lo and behold, he showed up at the motel parking lot one morning on his R90/6. As usual, it's always nice to put a face with a name, and I enjoyed the brief period we spent together.

Apparently he's still active on that forum, so will make it a point to drop in and say hello.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is good people. Originally "met" him on the Yahoo DSN_KLR650 Forum where we chatted back and forth about stuff. Made arrangements to hook up when I went to Hill City for the rally, and lo and behold, he showed up at the motel parking lot one morning on his R90/6. As usual, it's always nice to put a face with a name, and I enjoyed the brief period we spent together.

Apparently he's still active on that forum, so will make it a point to drop in and say hello.
Tom, Jeff and I have reconnected. It was really nice chatting with him again after all these years.

To the other listers, apologies for the hijack to this original post. Sometimes you just have to do what you gotta do. Friendships never die. :D

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
I first ran into his postings on DSN, too.

I was never active on the group; I think I posted once.

Don't apologize for a threadjack; it's bad form (because we pride ourselves on how well we do it. We even have a Master Threadjacker In Residence).

T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I first ran into his postings on DSN, too.

I was never active on the group; I think I posted once.

Don't apologize for a threadjack; it's bad form (because we pride ourselves on how well we do it. We even have a Master Threadjacker In Residence).

T
LOL!

Appreciate that, as I tend to go off on a tangent on occasion.

Regardless, thanks again.

Guy

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
my old man had a r 90/6 he still talks about it like an old loer he would love to see again someday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts