Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got some down time.....

Pulled the carb, removed the top, spring & needle. The needle that came out of my carb had an adjustable needle with 5 grooves & "E" clip. The E clip was in the middle groove. A previous owner obviously tried to do the 22 cent mod but put the 2 washers ON TOP of the clip thus not raising the needle. I realize that this will not affect the mixture nor reach the desired result of an enriched mixture.

My question is this: What kind of needle to I have? Is this possibly an aftermarket part or tune kit? Should I leave it alone or put the washers under the clip? How about just moving the clip 1 groove lower on the needle?
:confused:

The bike was running OK - no popping on decel or anything like that. The idle mixture plug had been removed as well. I live on the Texas coast so most of my riding is at sea level.

Any help is appreciated.

Slim40

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
Slim40-

That sounds like the KLX needle, a common mod.

The clip can be moved up and down, thus raising/lowering the needle in the jet, affecting the mixture.

Please see our Common Mods thread, which is stickied at the top of the Wrenching forum. Scroll down a bit and find the discussions about 22cent, L-Mod, and KLX needle mods. There are links to discussions.

And yes, moving the clip down one groove would have the same effect as putting the washers under the clip.

T

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
The bike was running OK - no popping on decel or anything like that. The idle mixture plug had been removed as well.
Slim40
Sounds like someone did this and if it was running good it's the ol' - if it ain't broke .......thing

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The washers are in the "storage" mode, available in case you want to "fine-tune" between grooves in your KLX needle. A washer shims the needle a distance less than moving the clip to the next groove would; thus, the washers provide granularity of adjustment between needle grooves, should you ever need this precision.

Should you ever want the needle elevation of a washer or two only (i.e., less than a whole groove change provides), move the washer(s) to a position under the needle.

Make sense? Sorry; didn't think so!

As klr4evr says, looks like the PO already tuned the carb. Unless you don't like how your bike is running, leaving things as they are may be your best strategy.

BTW, you do not have to remove the carb to perform the 22-cent mod (NOW I tell you, right?); you can loosen the carb duct hose clamps and rotate the carb for access to the mixing chamber cover (black plastic thingy with 4 screws on top) and pull the diaphragm and slide (you can access the fuel screw cap similarly); better if you unscrew the plastic cap holding the "choke" (starting enricher) cable, but . . . word-on-the-street is, some have gotten away without fooling with this troublesome, fragile component . . . keep this in mind for, "next time!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I did not remove the carb! I'm not that much of a masochist! I found that the enricher cable outer housing would pull out of the fitting on the carb side, removed the 2 cables, loosened the clamps and "Did the Twist!" As for the previous comment about the washers being a finer tune than moving the clip 1 groove, I moved one washer under the clip to try it out.

Thanks for all the info & help!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Cool, slim40!

While you're at it, recommend you find a 7/64" drill bit and see if it will fit through the vacuum port in your slide; if not . . . make it happen!

Hogging out the vacuum port offers crisper throttle response . . . a relative term, since a CV carb posseses the inherent characteristic of SOME hesitation, as "vacuum" must build to raise the slide after the throttle is opened . . .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doin' the slide thing...

Yeah, I checked that too. Seems a previous owner (I'm the 4th that I can determine!) drilled the slide to 1/8"! Skipped right on by that 7/64 bit....
:20a:

Slim40

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Seems a previous owner (I'm the 4th that I can determine!) drilled the slide to 1/8"! Skipped right on by that 7/64 bit....
:20a:

Slim40
Not a problem, IMHO; our Harley brethren bore their vastly similar KV40 slides to 1/8" routinely.

If the hole's too large, you can J-B Weld it up and re-drill; don't think a silly 64th-of-an-inch diameter difference would be of significant consequnece, however.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
My question is this: What kind of needle to I have? Is this possibly an aftermarket part or tune kit? Should I leave it alone or put the washers under the clip? How about just moving the clip 1 groove lower on the needle?
:confused:

The bike was running OK - no popping on decel or anything like that. The idle mixture plug had been removed as well. I live on the Texas coast so most of my riding is at sea level.

Any help is appreciated.

Slim40
I suspect you may have a Dynojet kit in there. The Dynojet kit comes with a #30 drill bit to drill the slide lift hole. #30 drill bit = 0.1285". An 1/8" drill bit = 0.125". Your 1/8 drill bit would be the closest fit you would probably have in a "hobbyist" tool kit. The description of the needle, the stacking of the spacers and the size of the slide lift hole lead me to suspect you have a Dynojet kit.

Stock needle upper / Dynojet needle lower

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WooHoo!!

I must have a DynoJet kit! My needle is definately like the lower of the two in the pic and not like the KLX needle pictured.

Now my only delima is this: Since all these mods were performed before I got the bike, I have no idea how a stock KLR runs. Mine has always run like a striped A** Ape! I guess this is a POSITIVE problem.....

Now on to the tire issue....

Thanks for everyone's help & input!

Slim40

1 - 10 of 10 Posts