Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the road without a schematic or device big enough to look at one.
Here are the symptoms:

Temp gauge died at the start. It tried, got to 120, then went to dead cold. Did the same this morning. After that it reads dead cold.
Turn signals are intermittent and flakey. When they work, only left works. Right tries to blink once, then quits. When they work, the indicators work.
High beam indicator does not work. High beam headlight does work.
Neutral indicator works.
Tach works.

Any help with a diagnosis from the schematic would be appreciated before I yank the fairing.

Tom

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Tom, it sounds I like you may have a loose frame ground.
Could definitely be the case!

Regardless, looks like something (bad or non-existent connection, short, etc.) is compromising the main voltage source.

Without wiring diagram viewing capability, crash into a motel with a "business center" (like a Holiday Inn Express), ask the staff to let you borrow their computer for a moment to print out: http://s414.photobucket.com/user/RobertKLR/media/odd things/2008klr650corrected.jpg.html . Absent a convenient motel, a library might offer this service to a poor, wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world of woe.

[/Burl Ives channeling]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5sHrOTXX0s

Best of luck, Tom!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Tom,
Electricity is my biggest 'down-fall', especially by remote!
But, as has been suggested, 'Ground', maybe the connection at the 9 pin connector, going to the instruments.
If all else fails, remember 'its built for the Apocalypse', just ride it!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to be related to things that 'reside' in the cluster and a ground seems likely. The 9 pin may be it.

It's been this way for 500 miles; another 500 won't be the end of the world if a simple plug and unplug doesn't fix it or if there isn't something obvious.

Not interested in a campground teardown, so popping the fairing is as far as I want to go.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings from Avila Beach.

I do beat the thing rather mercilessly. But there wasn't a big enough hammer in camp.

It seems it's the 9 pin. Took that out and reseated it twice. The temp gauge now works, but may be reading low. Blinkers are still intermittent and high beam indicator doesn't work. The blinkers worked fine at first, but quit once underway.

More fiddling required once back in camp if beer doesn't get in the way. We have had a problem with that the past couple of evenings...

Tom

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Progress! Good!

If you still might find a wiring diagram useful, roll up to the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo; I'm sure the concierge there will be delighted to help you print it out! :)

Coastal freighters once called at Avila. At the north end of the beach, you can probably still see the railroad right-of-way leading up toward San Luis Obispo. Railroad cars coasted down to the port by gravity; were loaded, then pulled back up to SLO by mules (no KLR650s back then); after the cars were unloaded, the mules were loaded aboard and then coasted back down to the seaside . . .

Glad you're approaching a solution to your electrical problem, Tom; good tip from Paul!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's baaaaack!

I'll try scrubbing the pins tonight and see what happens.

Tom

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Tom,
I sometimes use my pocket knife to slightly 'de-form' the female connectors to get a tighter grip on the male pins or posts. Be a little gentle.

Keep your minds out of the 'gutter', guys!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried swabbing the contacts with Coleman fuel and lightly abrading the contacts and giving the contacts a slight tweak. No joy.

Another symptom was observed. It's probably been there all along. If I work the switch back and forth to the right I can reliably make the right work. Doing the same to the left, when I move the switch left the dash lights, headlight and tail light momentarily blink off.

Without a schematic to ponder, I'm at a loss.

Guess what will be laminated and added to the kit?

Tom

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Without a schematic to ponder, I'm at a loss.
Hey, Tom; a PC and printer await you at the Madonna Inn!

([EDIT] Another thought; Kinko's. Bet there's one in SLO, or somewhere along your route.)

Yet, your ride, your call.

You can use HAND SIGNALS for your turns (I've noticed 'old school" Harley riders signaling thus, recently) for the rest of your trip. You can pursue and eradicate the electric gremlins when you return to your own garage.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Hey, Tom;

You can use HAND SIGNALS for your turns (I've noticed 'old school" Harley riders signaling thus, recently) for the rest of your trip. You can pursue and eradicate the electric gremlins when you return to your own garage.
Damocles,
I just have to tell of drivers slowing down, rolling down there car windows to ask, "what's up/what's wrong/ Why are you flagging Me down?". Usually in residential neighborhoods. I guess they think I'm wishing for 'Directions'?

I politely explain that all I was Doing was signaling a turn. Modern drivers Don't have a Clue of what we are trying to Signal!

Sorry your gremlins are still at-large Tom.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Tom,
I'm sure you will get this sorted out. Are you sure it's not in the control assembly at the handlebar? I recently had a intermittent headlight issue and it I ended up replacing my aftermarket headlight switch/turn signal assembly.. Replaced with the same aftermarket unit because I like the feature set.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cabrito,

I'm not sure of anything!

It is sort of acting like 12V is getting on the BK/Y wire.

I have to get the voltmeter out and start checking stuff. Not sure when I'll have time for that.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Cabrito,

I'm not sure of anything!

It is sort of acting like 12V is getting on the BK/Y wire.

I have to get the voltmeter out and start checking stuff. Not sure when I'll have time for that.
Don't know if you have access to a wiring diagram or not, yet; BLACK/YELLOW is hot wire to turn signals. EDIT: Pay no attention to the suggested wire color coding; don't know where I got that notion. I printed out a Generation 2 wiring diagram for a friend who was having difficulty with his starting/charging circuitry, and . . . reckon I mis-read the wiring code. BLACK/YELLOW appears to be GROUND, not + 12 VDC.

A $ 3.00 Harbor Freight digital volt-ohm-meter sometimes comes in handy, drawn from the on-board tool ensemble.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm home now.

I believe the black/yellow is a common ground.

tom

1 - 20 of 42 Posts