Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is ok to temporarily use car oil in my bike jsut to kick it over to start it after it has been sat for a month. I replaced the oil filter, and other parts, but don't have enuff bike engine oil (b.e.o) to fire her up. It takes 1.5 ltrs of oil, and i only have 750ml of b.e.o. so as my question is, is it safe to top the rest with good quality car engine oil, such as 10w40 ?
my bike is a 77 kl250
:50:
:mad0235:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I use the same oil in my car, motorhome, and KLR. I use what ever is on sale, wal-marts tech 2000, right now it has pennsoil in the MH and bike. Some will say only use a MC oil, but with 37000 miles on my 04 KLR I can't see spending the extra $$.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I use the same oil in my car, motorhome, and KLR. I use what ever is on sale, wal-marts tech 2000, right now it has pennsoil in the MH and bike. Some will say only use a MC oil, but with 37000 miles on my 04 KLR I can't see spending the extra $$.
koolies thanks daddyjoe, now i can finish my bike off. maybe even a ride tomorrow.
i was a bit worried at first, but you have help heaps.
good riding.:)
hey BTW just check out ya link, congrats on the new family arrival, he looks cute!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
When I bought my bike new I used the Kawasaki oil until I went into the local dealer and ask for 20-40 oil rather than the 20-50 I had been using. The owner said to use any GOOD car oil because he didn't stock the 20-40. From then on I used what ever I used in the car and truck. (over 200 K on the ford ranger) Now I just use the cheapest stuff. (I won't try recycled oil)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Just remember to use 10w40 and up...do not use energy conserving 10w30 and down. The energy conserving additive will really mess with your clutches in the long run. I like the Castrol 10W40.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm with Daddyjoe on this 100%..
I use diesel grade oil in 15w-40 in my bikes and everything but my car, where I use 5w-30..

I try to grab Rotella, but occasionally grab Walmart's Super Tech oil... And remember, Walmart doesn't make oil but puts their name on it. They can't afford it to fail.. It's quality oil (I've been told it's Quaker State or Penzoil) and it's made to industry standards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts