Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So being, 6'7, about 265-270 pounds without clothes I figured I would tighten the shocks to help with the sag and stiffen the bike up a bit considering I will mainly be riding on the street. I read the manual which is confusing, I you-tubed some vidoes but all that would come up was adjustments on the older models (pre-2008). So, with a flashlight I walked around my bike, found the spring adjustment and it was set to 1, took me all of 1 minute to take a socket wrench and adjust it. I took it all the way to 5 thinking that with gear, clothes, helmet ect I have to be tugging around 300 lbs.

As far as damping. I can't find the thing and ive looked like a mo-fo. The old you tube video shows it on the right side of the bike at the bottom of the spring but on my 2011 I think it may be in a different spot. Can someone please tell me exactly where it is and can I get to it without taking anything off the bike as did with the spring adjustment?

The manual says to take off stuff for the spring but it was in plain view so manual is incorrect lol.

Also, if I cant find it, is it ok to ride the bike with the 5 setting/spring and default damping or will that hurt somthing. My manual says that the pre-sets are both set to 1

My intention is to take it as high as it will go also thinking I can back both down a bit if needed.

Please help/suggest/ideas, ect

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cant belive it! within 5 minutes if posting this I went out and found it! It was just a little screw. I turned it almost one complete turn clockwise and it stopped. I could see it threading inwards. When I got on the bike and hopped around a bit it didint "spring back" like it used to. Also, the sag was helped.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow when its daylight and non raining to try it out!

lol im so excited I did somthing to it haha.

Does that mean ill have to learn how to ride the thing all over agian? will it handle better ect being tighter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh what a difference that made!

I feel like a bought 2 new bikes in a week!

Took it out today after the adjustments and it made a HUGE difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts