Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lower Alabama that is.......Mobile area!!!

Just bought a 2009 KLR and am super excited to find this site with all the great information and super knowlegable and helpful people to boot!!

My 09 has 10K miles and a FMF Q4 exhaust. Other than that I can't see any other maintenance or mods that has been done. She is black/green and super clean other than a rusty chain.

I am planning on the 22 cent mod, desnorkle, oil/filter change and a new spark plug this weekend. Air filter was filthy but cleaned up real nice. Contemplating the doohickey but not sure if I need it or should just do it for the peace of mind.

Looking forward to learning lots here and hopefully making some friends.

Cheers, :thumb:

Jeff

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
Jeff -

What you're likely to find on the doo is a slack spring, which means it won't adjust properly. Kawasaki got the lever right, but the spring is still an issue.

You can go in and replace the spring, but be careful not to nick it on installation - there have been reports of broken aftermarket springs due to nicks on the hook from using the wrong tool on the install. You'll want to lever it on with a tool that has no sharp edges.

Whether or not you want to go with a new lever and the torsion spring is your call.

T

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
you might as well keep your snorkel on. not really a huge improvement reason to do it. although its your bike you do what you want with it. welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I just got an 05 and am down here in mobile working for a couple weeks. I have street tires on mine but if you wanna go for a ride lemme know.
Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've done quite a few '08 and later "doo's" and a handful of '07 and earlier "doo's" My suggestion is to replace the spring with coil or torsion spring on the '08's and later. Swap out the lever and spring on '07 and earliers models. They may be just fine and adjust well...but the peace of mind is priceless. IMHO!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts