Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks.... i am working with a hi milage '87 klr 650 a friend of mine bought for $200.
we have replaced some missing internal engine parts and fired 'er up. the exhaust header pipe started glowing a pretty color of red which promptly melted the radiator overflow tank. we went back thru the carb ...againand replaced the air slide and fuel cut diaghphram. also went out another 1/2 (rich*)turn on the pilot jet setting and 2-3/4 on the idle mixture. alas we still have a cigar lighter, but it seems to take a lil longer to get there...any thoughts?

·
Registered
990 Posts
...any thoughts?
You're on the right track. Lean, very lean. Been sitting long? Might need to pull the petcock and check the screen and diaphragm, I'd also tear the carb down to nothing and give it a good cleaning. It's also possible that there is an intake leak, check the boot between the carb and head, they tend to weather check and crack on old bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks larry, we'll give'r a try. ya know , that 200$
bike isn't such a bargain lol. why wouldn't it be that way?

·
Registered
38 Posts
what internal engine parts did you replace? if the exhaust cam is only one tooth advanced it may cause this problem and still run half way decent, i would check cam timing if the carb checks out ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cigar lighter just won't leave. well here's where i'm at: by the way i'm gettin' really fast at carb r&r...lol. rechecked the cam timing, check. . i have used the "block and blow" method to check for passage restriction. all of the pilot, main,idle,and start enrichment passages flow in either direction. i also screwed in a larger main jet from an old dynojet kit and drilled out the slide hole. it idles beautifully.as i tip into the throttle, the carb gets really mad
and i experience a flat spot until the throttle is advanced 1/4 then it get's lively again. i noticed that if i cover 1 or both pilot holes in the inletwhile running all bad things go away. throttle response is crisp with both mr hesatation and mr surge. out of the picture. i am at a loss here . as my only 2 remaining brain cells are now fighting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH SORRY the engine had been gone into by an ASE certified master DPO * DIPP S--T PREVIOUS OWNER* THERE WAS A PISTON and a crankshaft in there, along with several twirley things. however there wasnt a single shim or spacer at the flywheel, starter gears,counter balancers. the timing chain and balance chain had already started to "relieve" the case. i wish i had a camera when we initally started it up. watching 2 old guys fly thru the air trying to turn the key back off would have been great

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
larry, you were right on the money the first time. there was a vacume leak. it was one of the weirder 1's i have come across. the intake manifold was leaking slightly at the bottom of the port.i noticed a dark line on the bottom of the port about 1/16" wide that was exactlly inline with the 4 tiny pilot ports. the leak wasn't large enough to drasticaly alter the idle. it was smooth as silk. i am wondering if that somehow affected the air flow over the pilot ports? who knows? i replaced the o-ring , and bingo all is right in my little world,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts