Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to drop in and check things out. I'm in the market for a KLR and hope to buy one real soon. I like the style of the 08 and newer.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
They are great bikes. If you can swing it tho try to get a 09 or newer. I have an 08 and it burns oil. It's a well known fact about the 08. In 09 they changed the oil ring and solved the problem.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are great bikes. If you can swing it tho try to get a 09 or newer. I have an 08 and it burns oil. It's a well known fact about the 08. In 09 they changed the oil ring and solved the problem.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers, Nick
Thanks I will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found a 08 at what I thought was a deal. Pretty happy with it. Ready to do a littl eriding now. Gotta put a set of tires on it and change the oil and it wil be ready to go. Looking forward to some dirt roads and fire roads in the future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good deal. I have an 08 and mine doesn't burn oil at all. So not all are like that. You'll find out very soon if yours does or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an 07 and personally I prefer that look....to me it's more like a dirt bike and the newer ones look like a sport bike...hopefully that doesn't offend I'm just stating my preference... I chose the 07 based on that view...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome to the fourms two brothers. Enjoy the stay, a lot of knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome!
ALL KLR's burn oil if kept in the higher rpm's for an extended time. Don't sweat the 08.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I keep mine in town and riding locally it doesn't burn any oil. It's when I hit the hiway, I ride at about 120-130 km per hour with a 16 tooth sprocket. That right around 5000RPM.

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have an 07 and personally I prefer that look....to me it's more like a dirt bike and the newer ones look like a sport bike...hopefully that doesn't offend I'm just stating my preference... I chose the 07 based on that view...
The 08s and up are dirt Ninjas, name sounds cool.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The 08s and up are dirt Ninjas, name sounds cool.
Yeah. I wish the Generation 1 bikes had a different headlight assembly...it is dated imo.

Other than that I like both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome! Where are you located ? Are you a new rider?
Thanks guys. I like the 08 and newer look but I like the older ones also.

New rider? Well not really. I'll give you some background.

Started around the age of nine, I'm forty-eight now. Dirt then broke into street. Road-raced WERA for a short time, lots of time in the NGA mountains.

Sportbikes, Harley's, ATV's, dirtbikes, SportTouring. Not in any order.

I have toured from East Coast to West Coast, Key West to Alaska. Canada, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Lakes, all sorts of bikeweeks, I kinda been around.

I run a small bike shop with my brother in GA. I have been off bikes for a little over a year. I got run over by a truck about this time last year and was told I had to take a year off by the doctors.

This will be a good way to get back into it. Love the bike so far. I'm hauling it to Fla next week on vacation. Hope to ride around a little and get back in the swing. So thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Cya out on the trails or the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts