Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO opinion a torque wrench is a necessary item for the KLR owner that does their own wrenching. Do we need to spend $200, $150, $100, $75, or $19.95 on a torque wrench? As much as I use mine I go for the Harbor Freight torque wrenches and you can find them inexpensively if you wait for a sale. One of the big problems with the HF torque wrench is reading the increment markings. I got to thinking about a solution and realized a simple Sharpie permanent marker can help us read the markings easier. This can be a little messy though less than oiling a air cleaner. Simply mark the increments and wipe them off. Don't use water or another solvent since that will also clean the markings.

Another tip is to remove the screws (ratchet mechanism), add a touch of blue Loctite and reinstall them. This will prevent them from vibrating loose or out if you travel with your torque wrench. Spoken with a voice of experience, right LarryBoy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 for Harbor Freight Torque wrenches.
I rely on my 1/4 to keep me from stripping the threads.
I have a 3/8" I don't use too much,
1/2" I use a lot for axle nuts and such.
And a 3/4" big pound puppy for doing Flywheels, VW transaxle, and 4x4 axle nuts.

No problems with any of them or relying on their accuracy.

TW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts