Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had around 20 bikes in my life since I got my first license in 1965, sold my R100 RS and R100 GS when I retired a number of years ago and arthritis was making it difficult just to turn them around in the driveway.
Well meaning friends were telling me it was probably about time I quit hooning around on bikes anyway. I tried to quit, honestly, but then I saw a Yamaha T Max advertised and I was curious about a double overhead cam twin cylinder, twin carburettor, 500cc scooter with almost as much horsepower as Triumph Bonneville back in the day, so I went for test ride and bought it.
Of course, this just whetted my appetite for another "proper" bike, so in August 2019 I bought a new DR 650 [ my first ever new bike] and I've put 51,000 k's on it since then.
In that time, the arthritis in my hands and wrists has got a bit worse, and I've had to quit offroad riding. The DR, as I'm sure you guys know, isn't nearly as good on road as the mighty KLR, so I've just ordered the 2022 Adventure model and now I'm impatiently awaiting it's arrival, hopefully this year, but I'm not holding my breath Cheers Peejay.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
Wow, that’s some serious riding on the DR. Welcome to the forum. Hope your new KLR comes soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that’s some serious riding on the DR. Welcome to the forum. Hope your new KLR comes soon.
Thanks for the welcome klr4evr, Yeh one of the best things about being retired is the time you have to ride and relax and fit in all the things you never had time for. Cheers.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
Yeh one of the best things about being retired is the time you have to ride and relax and fit in all the things you never had time for.
I must be doing something wrong. Been retired for quite some time and still can’t get the seat time I would like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must be doing something wrong. Been retired for quite some time and still can’t get the seat time I would like.
Being single helps a lot, and living in Western Australia with our Mediterranean climate and countless miles of dirt and gravel roads and relatively cheap fuel is good too.
To be honest, I've ridden the DR mostly on asphalt and gravel roads rather than " off road ", which isn't really what it is best at, and I should probably have bought the KLR in 2019,but being an older bloke I was attracted to the simplicity and lighter weight of the DR. Although I have had one fairly " high tech " bike, I bought an almost new K75s Beemer in the 1980's when I was living in New Zealand, and the engine management computer managed to unplug itself on the first day I rode it to work leaving me sitting in the carpark waiting for the dealer's van to arrive and rescue me. But when it came to a choice between the DR and the KLR the lighter weight of the DR seemed attractive to my arthritic hands.
That said, my last so called Adventure bike was my 1989 R100GS which I bought soon after coming to Australia, which wasn't that much heavier than my new KLR Adventure . If we can believe the weight claims of the manufacturers that is.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Welcome Peejay from WA!

One day in the future I will have to wrestle with the truth that my riding days are over. However, today is not that day -LOL.

Keep on riding!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Peejay from WA!

One day in the future I will have to wrestle with the truth that my riding days are over. However, today is not that day -LOL.

Keep on riding!
Thanks for the welcome foo. I certainly intend keeping on for as long as I can. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts