Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BTW, I'd appreciate more pictures of your bike, some detailed ones that show the mods that have been done. It's cold and dreary and I'm a bit laid up here. I've nothing of interest to do except read books and watch film noir and dream of warmer and healthier days to come.

Have pity on an old gimp and throw us a bone here.

You can e-mail the pictures to me and I'll get them hosted and posted for ya!
I just sent you a quick email Tom. I'll take a couple of more pics tomorrow and email them to you.

7 posts and counting until I am a FULL FLEDGED MEMBER, and can post pictures.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited by Moderator)
I took my new to me 2008 for a ride yesterday for the first time and really liked it. I was surprised by the power and how easily it shifted. With now bags, nor windscreen if felt extremely light and nimble, just as the original owner had set it up. I sent Tom Schmitz some updated photos so perhaps he'll post them until I get removed from the "no photo posting" penalty box.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Navigator, In pic # 3 your oil level window has a lot of condensation / moisture on it. This can happen with Too Many cold start-ups and not physically Riding for 20-30 miles at a reasonable road speed.

I hope that NO ONE immediately suggests the coolant pump seals, because there is weep hole Between the oil seal & the coolant seal! Check to see that the weep hole is open.

Couple ounces of Sea-Foam and go for a longer ride.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
You should give the whole bike a once-over for missing screws/bolts. Special attention to the subframe.

Then replace the missing bolt for that Moose/Turbo City rack. I think you'll need a spacer and a T-washer as well.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
i agree, my ride to work is 15 miles. oil sight glass cloudy. ride 60-70 miles= crystal clear. summer time no cloudiness

·
Registered
188 Posts
... I always intend to ask Tom, just how many local KLR riders made a U-Turn to inquire about his array of pressure gauges. :)
Tom is a 747 pilot wannabee :desismiley:

Navigator, I had the pleasure of partaking in a couple of Rimpac exercises out of Hawaii, once out of Barbers Point (closed now), and second time Kaneohe... but we stayed at Pearl. Cool experience, got out on the Arizona memorial, toured the naval museum at the harbour, and the USS Bowfin! At Pearl, I was able to get up close to a couple of nuke boats, helluva experience. I used to go a couple of times a year to San Diego (did 10 years on CP-140s, the Cdn version of the P-3), got a tour on the Ranger carrier dockside there, prepping for it's last cruise before retirement. Damn that's a long ways down to the water from the flight deck!

BTW, I had an '08, did the 685 kit (so worth it).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Roger on the cloudiness. I let the bike warm up for about 10 minutes and then rode it for only about 10-15 miles locally so it never really warmed up. I am looking forward to getting it out and truly warmed up but that's not going to happen for awhile. I'm loading my BMW into the back of my pickup and heading to AZ within the next week or so. I've got to get out of this flippin' Pacific Northwest Rain. I have synthetic oil and a new filter in a box next to the KLR and will change the oil upon my return. Then it's Death Valley bound.

And I've gone over the bike, checking fasteners, like I do with any used bike I buy. I noted the missing bolt on the rack and will be replacing it when I attach the soft bag rack. I bought some steel tube the other day to cut a couple of 5 inch spacers for the front rack fitment point but I've got drawers full of small spacers, plus assorted metric nuts and bolts. I was wondering who made that rack so thanks for the tip. The fuel in it is about 6 month old non-ethanol so it is still in good shape. I'm in with the marine crowd here, and a boat owner, so we all use non-ethanol, which is good for about a year. Tom sent me a link to a shop manual, which I downloaded, but I also just received my Clymer. I don't understand the weep hole but I'll get into the manual to see what it is.

GWN, I retired off of the staff of the Commander, Pacific Fleet in Hawaii in 2003.. I was one of the Assistant Chiefs of Staff so got my turn in the barrel to do guided Arizona tours for visiting dignitaries. We used the Admiral's motor whale boat out of his private harbor and museum. It's a very moving visit every time. I was also able to officiate at a couple of Arizona Memorial ceremonies.

I called on your Pacific Fleet Commander in about 2000, RADM Frazier (or Fraser-can't recall) at the time, at Esquimalt to discuss increased cooperation between the US and Royal Canadian Navies. Great guy and I was treated very well. With 35 years in the Navy, I did three carrier deployments, USS Midway (Vietnam), USS America and USS Eisenhower. And and yes, it is a long way down to the water and I never tired of watching flight ops. On one med deployment, anchored off of Palma de Marjoca, Johnny Carson pulled along side of the Ike and we had a great conversation, looking down into his yacht. I've visited many SSN "fast attacks" inspecting new electronic sensor systems one of my commands installed for special mission deployments. I also got underway on one of the boomers that had been converted to the SSGN. It was huge. I flew the radio position on P-3s for a few flights back when I was enlisted.

We always enjoyed RIMPAC because our Navy house was near the entrance to the the Pearl Harbor channel and we could watch every foreign ship pass by in and out of the channel. Great memories.

I've ridden throughout BC, the Yukon and parts of Alberta and absolutely LOVE your country. The fires in BC the last few years were heartbreaking. I try to visit a Canadian Legion post whenever I'm in Canada and am always kindly received. Perhaps we'll cross paths one day.

And thanks for posting the pics Tom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I took it for a short ride today and again realized how very much I like this bike. It's just more fun than the law should allow. I moved it from my garage to my shop, a big deal, since the shop is way over crowded. There was a term we used in the Navy when pulling into a liberty port, to "titivate" ship, meaning to tidy it up. It many sound odd but it gave me much pleasure to sit in front of the KLR and clean it up a bit while sipping a glass of Irish whiskey, removing some of the dirt and grime the previous owner didn't notice, and generally making it mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Thanks for your service Navigator!

It was my honor to serve six as an ET hiding behind crypto gear (left in '81 as ET1).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for your service Navigator!

It was my honor to serve six as an ET hiding behind crypto gear (left in '81 as ET1).

I was typing a somewhat lengthy reply about Radiomen and ETs this morning and just as I was hitting the submit button, we lost power and internet. Grrrr.

In any event making ET1 within 6 years was unusual and speaks well of you. Not many do it.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
making ET1 within 6 ...
Having grown up on the farm and having learned to troubleshoot the tractor, pickup, or rewiring the barn ... that work experience put me a few steps ahead of many ET candidates. Just good fortune.

And too part of the credit goes to Mr. Carter whose Presidential influence insured that service members were held to 5% pay raises in the face of 15% inflation. Colleagues would complain about relying on programs like WIC and Welfare to ensure food was on the table for mamma and the kids. Most all of those enlisted men would not re-up when their tour was finished, so they were leaving in droves. On Midway Isle ('78), the ET gang had billets for 57, but were manned at 26. Never worked so hard for so little -but learned so much.

I had signed for 6 to get the advance schooling. After that I took my full GI Bill and went off to engineering school. No regrets.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Having grown up on the farm and having learned to troubleshoot the tractor, pickup, or rewiring the barn ... that work experience put me a few steps ahead of many ET candidates. Just good fortune.

And too part of the credit goes to Mr. Carter whose Presidential influence insured that service members were held to 5% pay raises in the face of 15%. Colleagues would complain about relying on programs like WIC and Welfare to ensure food was on the table for mamma and the kids. Most all of those enlisted men would not re-up when their tour was finished, so they were leaving in droves. On Midway Isle ('78), the ET gang had billets for 57, but were manned at 26. Never worked so hard for so little -but learned so much.

I had signed for 6 to get the advance schooling. After that I took my full GI Bill and went off to engineering school. No regrets.
I remember those days when we couldn't keep guys in the service. The Carter years were bad. I got my commission in 1978 and almost left when my 5 year obligation was up but, oh well, I stayed on. One of the things that happened was a big raise in about 1982. I was promoted to LT, went over (14-prior enlisted) and we got a big pay raise in 1982, plus I was really enjoying my 2nd officer sea tour as Navigator on guided missile cruiser. Sometimes I think maybe I stayed too long but looking back it was one wild ride.

That you got a degree in engineering is great. I came home from Nam in Dec 71 and was accepted to the Univ of Washington school of engineering but Boeing had just collapsed over the SST, laying off thousands of engineers. Aerojet General also laid off thousands of engineers. It was not a good time. The Dean of Engineering at UW told us that there would be no jobs for engineers on the west coast for probably 8-10 years. With a wife and child and facing no prospects for employment upon graduation, I changed my major, moved back to Sacramento, and the US ran out of engineers within 5 years.

The decisions we make.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh and on my KLR, I worked on it this afternoon doing simple things like sorting the out the rear rack mount. I couldn't figure out why it was so off until I removed and realigned it. I get frustrated with what I find when buying a used bike. I assume the original owner was wearing the proper uniform when he worked on it because for him it would be a clown suit and clown shoes. It's nothing bad but just goofy stuff that could have been done right. Why do something dildoish when it could be done correctly?

In any event, the rack is now mounted correctly, after an $11 trip to Ace Hardware for the proper length SS 8mm x 1.25 socket head screws and bronze spacers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the KLR.
I purchased a 2008 KLR with 16000 miles on it a couple years ago.
I only kept it for a month then traded it in on a new 2017 KLR.
I rode the 08 hard for a month and it never used a drop of oil.

Terry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the KLR.
I purchased a 2008 KLR with 16000 miles on it a couple years ago.
I only kept it for a month then traded it in on a new 2017 KLR.
I rode the 08 hard for a month and it never used a drop of oil.

Terry
That's what I like hear Terry. I'll watch the oil closely though until I can determine a baseline consumption rate. I won't be riding it hard though and will spend little time on the highway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have a question on foot pegs. Before posting a new thread I always do a site search but when I did it for foot pegs, it was a general google web search so I'm doing something wrong.

I don't want to start a new thread but, well, the foot pegs that were on my 08 when I bought it are obviously aftermarket dual sport pegs but to me are about 2 inches too high. They are not correct for my old knees, plus using the rear brake is a bit of a chore. Soooo, I'd like to get rid of these pegs and get a set that are at the level of the OEM pegs. Any suggestions?

I'm liking my new to me KLR more every day that I have it. If nothing else, it is great shop art, and I know it is more than that. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 45 Posts