Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Montreal, good to be here. I just picked up a 2000 KLR650 with low mileage (13,000) and it's gonna need a little TLC before passing its safety inspection here in Quebec. Brakes are shot and the fork seals are toast. I'll get to the brakes asap but for now need to order some new fork seals.

Wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which to buy, and where from? Full disclosure - just finished up working on my '81 CB750 and in the process of selling my sportster 1200 - this is my first dual sport. Know a little about bikes but this KLR is a new breed for me. Thanks for having me, and looking forward to getting this rubber on the road.

- J

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi mate , you still have the KLR, wondering how you going with it and did you manage to find your parts. Ive recently picked up the same model myslef. Anyway chat soon
Allan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Allan, kudos on buying the best-looking bush pig out there! And yeah still have mine and love the thing. I ended up doing a full restoration and customization of mine (here's a link to a different forum thread that documents the build - KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.)

Here's how it looks now -

- all kinds of mods and chops. Let me know if you need any help mate. I'm never on this forum, but hit me up over on do the ton anytime. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments! And thanks also for the link to those mods, have not done any of them. Good to know. Late reply - I stripped the tank paint, sanded it with 360 grit (I think), warmed it up to drive out any moisture inside the metal and then hit it with 2K SprayMax gloss clear. After a couple of years now it's holding up great, no problems at all or rust showing through.

Have a question - the front brake rotor really need replacing but I'm having a hard time sourcing a C-specific one. Can I sling an A model rotor on there instead? Bolt pattern and diameter the same? Those are a dime a dozen but anything for the C is rare as pope shit.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I had never noticed that the 'C' model has a twin piston front caliper. The front disc may be the same as a 'B' model Tengai?
USA never got the 'C' models. So I'll leave the question to be answered by another Canadian or an Australian or one of our growing number of European members.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye, twin pot caliper, just not sure if the rotor itself is the same size as the A or Tengai. Hopefully someone will chime in and spill the beans

·
Registered
klr 650 c
133 Posts
Dont have a B or E model, but in this ad on ebay
they claim that front disc fits all three models B, C, E. You could check with a fellow rider who drives a gen2 bike if the disc will fit, or someone who has gen2 can post some dimensions with number of holes etc. Do not trust ebay ads

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah man that's awesome info, thanks so much. I have a bit of a hard time sourcing info on the C, so hat helps me out so much. Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
A bit more of C info.
Rims and swingarm are made of steel. They can all be replaced plug&play with their aluminium counterparts from the A or B including chain adjusters and axle.
An E-model swingarm fits as well, but you'll have to convert to the complete E model rear brake system as well.

The 6 gal. IMS tank fits in case you need range.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a 23 litre Acerbis tank for the C but production stopped a looonnnggg time ago and it is quite hard to come by now.Available in the 1995/96 colors red and green.

·
Registered
klr 650 c
133 Posts
Good info and nice bike, would love to have that tank, but it is probably rare to find, next to kick starter kit for klr 600/650, not impossible but hard

·
Registered
klr 650 c
133 Posts
Tnx, I am good for now, but it would be nice to know the price, I have old style clutch

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had no idea there was a kickstarter mod for these bikes. My 48 year old knees are pretty happy with the push button starter though, can't lie!

Is there are hydraulic clutch mod for these first gen KLR's? I rebuilt the clutch on mine and recently replaced the clutch cable - it's easier to pull now but wondering how much difference a hydraulic clutch set up would make. Pretty sure the clutch on this thing has given me an rsi over the last 5 years!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts