Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is Shelly of Oshkosh (WI) and I bought a used KLR last year because orthopedic problems in my hips prevent me from riding a lower bike. I'm ~5'11" and when I stop I'm on my toes, which is a foreign feeling to this long legged gal.

Here's what keeps me from riding this bike more often - I can hardly get on and off of it without dropping it. The kickstand holds the bike so vertical that I can't park on the right side of a road - the whole bike falls down to the right. When I get on and off of it, it feels like it's going to tip, and sometimes it does!

The local bike shop said they could shorten the kickstand for $250, not sure if this will fix the problem or not. A friend of mine showed me how to stand with my full bodyweight on my left leg to get on and off, but because of my hip issue it wobbles when i dismount.

It seems like a great bike, I put about 500 miles on it last summer, but honestly I'm scared to mount/dismount and that keeps me from enjoying it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
$250? You can buy adjustable ones for less than that. At least I think you can. There's a few things that can cause that situation, a bent kickstand, too weak of a spring letting (too much sag), i like to turn my bars to the left when i park, but that's less likely the problem.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Yes the bike stands up-right a bit too much. 250 to mod the sidestand is insane.
Check out this link for someone selling an adjustable one on advrider. Retail for 130, he's selling for 75.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr-650-adjustable-sidestand.1437586/

There are some low saddle options I've seen other mention and modifying the existing saddle could be an option. Perhaps those would be additional options to help with the ergo's.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
you can get a local metal metal shop to cut and modify yours for about $20 or so....and yes, there are adjustable ones too. Make sure your sag is set correctly and then push your bike up onto boards of varying thicknesses so you can see how much you want to cut before it's too late. ;-)

Also, (I have hip problems too and I'm between 5'10" and 5'11").......I would resist the urge to lower the bike but it is an option. What year bike and (sorry) but how much loaded weight?

Another thing that helps me is a set of drop pegs or JNS peg lowering brackets as it decreases your leg angle.

Lastly, mount it like a horse; stand on the left footpeg and swing your leg over....it helps if you don't have a top box.

Good luck

Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suspect that someone may have installed lowering links and not shortened the sidestand.
I took my sidestand off and shortened it 1" and welded the foot back on in around 20 minutes.
Terry

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, it stood too upright because of the lowering links. My very simple and free fix was to grind just a wee bit off the 'stop' that the kickstand rests against when down. This allows the stand to swing forward a little more thus leaning the bike a little more. Problem solved. And like DPelletier says, "mount it like a horse." Stand on the left peg, hang to the left and do whatever you have to to get that leg over.
I'm fortunately still quite agile, but have no issue getting on or off, even with my large top-box mounted on the rear.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Dang it! It appears that KLRChris didn't have enough buyers for his Adjustable LH & RH side stands to keep them on his web-site. :(

But I would bet that he would still set you up with a PAIR if you asked nicely. :) https://www.klrchris.com/

@campfire , i think purchased a pair sometime back.

Maybe it was @rebar that purchased klrchris RH sidestand?

·
Registered
914 Posts
The local bike shop said they could shorten the kickstand for $250
NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!! Only ride past and flip them the bird.

When you are getting on the bike, leave the kickstand down, put your left foot on the left footpeg. Stand on it and swing your right leg over the seat.

If you find you don't want the bike, I would be willing to trade you 2 rolls of quality unused toilet paper and a frozen chicken for it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Dang it! It appears that KLRChris didn't have enough buyers for his Adjustable LH & RH side stands to keep them on his web-site. :(

But I would bet that he would still set you up with a PAIR if you asked nicely. :) https://www.klrchris.com/

@campfire , i think purchased a pair sometime back.

Maybe it was @rebar that purchased klrchris RH sidestand?
Nope, wasn't me. I have the stock stand but had to weld the & fill in the frame mount and stand end due to wear.

BUT... "$250?" from a bike shop? If they was close I'd do it for $50.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased the KLRChris adjustable sidestand and must admit that it is the one change that I have made on my bike that I regret. IMHO, it isn't well made and comes with parts that rust in no time and it's expensive for what you get. I had a need for an adjustable stand previously but I don't anymore. I think that I will probably cut the original kickstand down to an appropriate length and get rid of the adjustable stand. YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! Thanks. I had two friends come over who have welding supplies and knowledge but when they looked at the bike they said they weren't comfortable doing it.....I don't know anyone else that does welding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 2009 and I'm about 200 lbs. I'm also NOT a gearhead, and don't really know any around here. How do I 'check the sag'?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Take the stand off and cut the tube just above the foot that rests on the ground.
Cut 2" or maybe a little more off the end of the tube and weld the foot back on. You don't need
to be a skilled welder as the weld only hold the foot on the strength of the stand is not effected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would this work? My bike is a 2009

2008 KAWASAKI KLR650 EAGLE MIKE QUICK TRAIL JACK ADJUSTABLE SIDE STAND
Hi Shelly, no that won't work. Eagle Mike designed that stand as a temporary trail side jack to allow one to repair the bike ie. repair a flat tire. You haul that with you in your tool kit and use it only when necessary. If you're really lucky, it's never necessary!

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Go over to Fox Valley Technical College and find the Metal Machining, Fabrication & Welding Department. Find out who the head person is and ask if they would do you a favor/take on a small project/Provide A Rich And Robust Opportunity For Growth And Development® for one of their bright students.

They have the tools, they have the technology. They'd probably help you out.

Failing that, you could easily find a small welding job shop, the sort that fabricates metal fencing and such like that, and they'd probably do it for $20. You might have to take the kickstand to them.

Reactions: Toney and campfire

·
Registered
81 Posts
2 cents

I shortened my kickstand about ONE inch when it was complete. It works great but more than that might be problematic. It is super easy fix. With bike on center stand I cut off the foot, Measured up 3/4" and cut off, then leaned bike on foot and welded it up.That is one way there are a few others but this way I kept the same foot angle. good luck

1 - 20 of 61 Posts