Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, time to stop lurking. I'm Lyle in Victoria BC. Been getting great ideas and information from this site for about 2 years now, so thanks for that. Hi everyone.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Greetings and welcome. Tell us about your island adventures.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Well hello!

A man of few words eh?

Some of us will make up for you then.
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, time to stop lurking. I'm Lyle in Victoria BC. Been getting great ideas and information from this site for about 2 years now, so thanks for that. Hi everyone.
Ok friendly KLRistas. I'm at a keyboard now, and stand a fighting chance of typing. A bit more about me:

I last had a bike in the late 80's (Suzuki GS400E) and always missed it, but kids, work, mortgage and life said I had to wait. About 2 years ago I found myself checking out used bikes online, and I set about coming up with a legitimate reason to buy one again. At about the same time I discovered the world of adventure motorcycling stories on YouTube and my scheme to ride a motorcycle to Tuktoyaktuk to celebrate my 60th birthday was conceived. I called it "North of 60 at 60." I bought a 2011 burnt orange/silver KLR with 20000km and pretty much went full-time into 18 months of learning how to ride on gravel (and re-learning almost everything about riding) and how to do almost every aspect of repair and maintenance necessary for such a trip.

While I did make it across the BC border into Yukon and thereby get North of 60 this year, Tuk was impossible due to the pandemic as there is still no entry into NW Territories as a visitor. I had settled for getting to the arctic circle, but I only made it about 80km up the Dempster when I broke my chain. I needed more than the spare master link I was carrying, so I had to hitch a ride back to Dawson, organize a tow (expensive!) and ended up having to air freight a replacement chain in from Whitehorse (also expensive.)

That was the northern apex of the trip, but the real riding highlights were: the Duffy Lake Road, the Barkerville Wagon Road past Yank's Peak, the South Canol Road, Dawson City, the West Pavilion Road, the Bridge River area and the Highline road, the scenery everywhere in BC and YT. This was a 3 week, 7200km solo ride and I met so many friendly people, saw so much wildlife and non-stop scenery.

I have good rain gear and heated grips so I ride year-round here in "Canada South." I'm working my way through as many of the logging roads as can be accessed on Vancouver Island as I can find, and I'm working on plans for a trip for next summer that will head E across BC staying as close as possible to the US border and using as little pavement as possible, loop N through a good chunk of the Rockies and wiggle back W again on as much gravel/dirt as I can find. I don't mind riding solo, but if there's anyone who thinks this might be fun, please get in touch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts