Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ecuador right now and just got back to sea level from 4000 meters (little over 13k feet) altitude. I was up at that altitude only for a day with bike fully loaded. It kept dying at idle. I know that's somewhat normal at that altitude, but I was wondering is there an easy fix to it since I'll be going back to that altitude and higher in Bolivia and Argentina? I've tried playing with idle knob, no difference. Not sure if that thing even works, will check tomorrow am. I know other option is open air box lid. Any other suggestions? it's 2009.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been having the same problems with my girlfriends 2011. We have been up and down all over South America and up to 5000 metres in the Cordiller Blanca Peru. I got a little tip a while ago. At high altitude turn off your petcock valve until the engine starts to cut out then turn it back on slightly till it starts to run smoother. It cuts down the amount of fuel supply to the carb. Seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cold weather starting problems

Hi All:
The high altitude starting/idling problem sounds like what I have: when the weather turns below 50 degrees F it starts hard. Below 45 it won't start. I have talked with others who know much more about these things but my mechanic is going to install a larger jet which will hopefully allow more fuel into the starting circuit. ...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi All:
The high altitude starting/idling problem sounds like what I have: when the weather turns below 50 degrees F it starts hard. Below 45 it won't start. I have talked with others who know much more about these things but my mechanic is going to install a larger jet which will hopefully allow more fuel into the starting circuit. ...

Since my 2008 runs, climbs and starts fine from sea level up to 13,000 feet below 30 degrees F. with factory jets and settings, I have to wonder if your starting problem might be valve clearances getting tight or maybe the big idle speed screw adjustment. There is a possibility of some of the small idle fuel passages being partly clogged.

I wonder if you need more gas at higher elevations where there is less air. That is to say, "I doubt that you need a bigger jet and thus more gas with less air."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts