Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought a 2011 KLR650 in Kansas City. He is in Afghanistan and I now have the bike and live in SW New Mexico at 6000ft elevation. The bike will not run with out 2/3 to 3/4 choke and will not idle without full choke. Is the altitude the problem? If so is there a fix? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Good tips above.
The bikes come lean. Best to clean it all out then open the fuel screw some and raise the needle 1-2 washers width. It'll make the engine happy.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Symptoms suggest most likely, clogged main jet.

Solution, carb cleaning; 'Better living through chemistry" (carb cleaner) MIGHT work; probably require carb removal/disassembly/cleaning.

If the bike's "too lean" from the factory at sea level, oughta be just about right at 6000 feet; regardless--altitude's no consequence as described, IMHO.

(Carburetors typically are jetted LEANER to compensate for altitude; doubt the process necessary or useful in this case.)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Symptoms suggest most likely, clogged main jet.

Solution, carb cleaning; 'Better living through chemistry" (carb cleaner) MIGHT work; probably require carb removal/disassembly/cleaning.

If the bike's "too lean" from the factory at sea level, oughta be just about right at 6000 feet; regardless--altitude's no consequence as described, IMHO.

(Carburetors typically are jetted LEANER to compensate for altitude; doubt the process necessary or useful in this case.)

Yea I'm with the take it apart and clean it properly camp.

The main jet works from approx. 3/4 throttle. The pilot jet is for about 1/8-1/4 throttle. Only running with the choke on is a pilot jet problem.

Here's a good page on motorcycle carb theory.

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.