Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
My Solex is in that category:

Has no speedo but probably gets 200 MPG.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That moped is awesome. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my Puch.

I don't keep track of my gas mileage because I'm a terrible person and bad at math. Sorry for hijack. ;)

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Ya, 40 mpg should be easily attainable. I got that with my old CBX's and I get better than that with my VW. A bike using more fuel than a car isn't worth having IMO.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure I understand the thread but my 06 gets 52 - 53 without the panniers and 47 - 48 with the panniers. They are really big boxes. I ride a lot without them around the home area unless it is a grocery run.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I rode a Yamaha XV 1200 for years that would give a consistent 56mpg. at 60 - 70 mph. My KLR gets 46 with the panniers on and 50 - 51 without them, big difference huh? As for the claims I have heard about 60 - 70 mpg. with a KLR I can only get that If I put it on my trailer.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My Kymco People 150 got insane gas mileage. Granted, it was a scooter, but it was probably the most fun vehicle I have ever owned...fast as hell...I could beat about any motorcycle off the line with that thing...for about 30 feet. And got 80 MPG when I didn't ride the living crap out of it forever. I sold it almost for a profit after putting 10K miles on it (my buddy sold them). And I still wish I hadn't sold it. :mad0235:

My Puch got 120 miles to the gallon. ;) And you could pedal when you ran out of gas. I'm glad as shit I sold that thing. Got $700 bucks for it too. :16a:

I've never done the math on the KLR, but I've only switched it to reserve once. Granted it was in the middle of the golden gate bridge so that probably counts as double or something.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I knew this seemed familiar...

I already responded...a while ago. Oops. Although, interestingly, I felt nostalgic about my Puch at the time. :18:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have 214 miles on this tank full and it was all highway at 65 - 78 mph. I have not hit reserve yet but will stop and fill it up in about 20 minutes. I'll post the mpg when I get on again.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I wonder how the roundel will affect your gas mileage. :)

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
Monday, running from Mojave to Bishop, I got 53 mpg. A couple days later, from Bishop to Mojave, I got 38. It averages out to 46, which is about what I usually get.

Tom

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Roundel

I wonder how the roundel will affect your gas mileage. :)
It is working great, 230 and I'm still not on reserve!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've never had any bike that got less than 40 MPG?

Pipe it, jet it, toss the air box and they'll get into the mid 30's.

Ridden hard all of my bikes get 40-42 MPG..TW200, TE610, Bandit 600, Buell Uly. I've gotten over 60 MPG on the Buell and TE610.

My '05 KLR would get the same..right about 42 MPG, best tank was 57..worst 23 MPG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This 30 year old Honda step through get's nearly 150mpg

When she's not lying down in the mud this old BMW gets a respectable 49mpg when you keep the speed at 50-55

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
When she's not lying down in the mud this old BMW gets a respectable 49mpg when you keep the speed at 50-55
Hold EVERYTHING!!
Since when is an Oilhead "old"??:D My 2000 R1100R was good for 50mpg after a 2 Bros pipe and K and N filter (which also got rid of my surging issue)
But 50-55 mph??? How can you run that bike at that speed? Mine never seemed to find any time under 70..:evilgrin0007:

My OLD R80 is a very consistant 40mpg.. Speaking of that, my new Wilbers rear shock for the old airhead is in today!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts