Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to make my KLR much more comfortable on the highway. i was thinking a larger windshield ( maybe 10" over stock) what else is a good idea?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I ordered the 10" over stock windshield and a pair of pelican cases to mount as saddle bags... Highway bars are comfortable? Almost like the position that forward controls are on a harley?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sorta. Guess it depends on the HD and which KLR pegs. Anyway, they're not expensive and there are several different ones online to choose from. Wouldn't be difficult to fabricate (or have someone do it) to put them where you want them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
here is a link to a post i just made the other day. just had this hwy bar made and i love it.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=4682

as far as hwy riding comfort my list goes like this..

sheepskin buttpad (much nicer than i imagined)
barsnake (for handle bar vibration)
highway pegs (comfy)
and a supermotard front fender (less sail)

for some reason wind over the windshield doesnt bother me. i know its different for each person.

without dropping $400 on a corbin, im gonna try this set up and see how far i get.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
We made our own. By doing so, we laid the bike over to find where the bars needed to be in order to keep the bike up off of the $$$ plastic. Between the highway bars and my pelicans, the bike will lay completely flat and have no body parts touching the ground.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a great idea, incorporate "frame sliders" into the highway bar design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i want to make my KLR much more comfortable on the highway. i was thinking a larger windshield ( maybe 10" over stock) what else is a good idea?
I sent my seat off to Lee's Recovery Room in Williams Lake BC (Canada) and he did a swell job. The new seat is WAY more comfortable. If I'm riding on the highway, I simply slide my butt back about 4 - 6" and suddenly get at least another 1" of way-more-comfy foam. Also, I purchased Clearview's tallest clear shield for my '06 KLR and for me (5'11") it's PERFECT. Plenty of protection yet "breezy". Have fun!

·
Registered
272 Posts
highway comfort

wow, this is an old thread ressurected.
way taller gearing (15/38) makes the highway way more comfy rpm-wise.
Hot grips for when it's chilly to cold.
parabelum windsheild is very aero, top of it just below eye level puts the blast over the hat. good to scrunch in behind when it's nasty out.
3" shorter h-bars get me in out o' the wind somewhat.

personal gear: arai ds with facesheild and visor. mx boots or road boots depending on the ride. Good coat by spidi with full padding and hard plastic inserts at elbows and shoulders, moose sahara racing pants (over the boot) and icon gloves keep the adverse elements from wearing on me too badly, all give me confidence of protection in case of a tip over. I don't ride in shorts and tees, even in hot weather.

My stock seat does get a bit hard on the arse after an hour or so but have not upgraded. I don't usually get to ride that long anyway. I just shift around to spread the load out.
Compared to the seat on my ktm (which is harder and narrower, but I stand up more in the dirt than I sit down) the KLR seat ain't too bad.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10727537
That's the link for the seat cover.. It used to be only available in Southern stores, but now you can get it online.

I hated mine on my Travelcade Gel seat, but they're a huge help on a stock seat, with the pre-08's being very soft.

My highway comfort came in the shape of a Russell Day Long seat, aftermarket handlbars, and highway pegs.. The seat is the biggest issue and if your butt's not comfortable, you're not comfortable.

Also, rather than a higher windshild, I'm much happier (this is also pre 08 models) with cutting the flip off my shield.. My helmet's in the wind and this allows the vents to work as designed, and there's no buffetting that comes with turbulent air that comes off the stock windscreen.. If you want to try this, just take your windshield off for a couple days and ride.. You'll find your helmet very quiet, and the blast of wind that's going to your chest will be gone after you cut that flip off the top of the screen..

Oh, and this modification is FREE!!!!:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there anyone out there with a Zero Gravity "Double Bubble" windshield? They are shorter than the Sport Touring model but look stronger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow

+1 on the Alaskan Leather butt pad. I also have a Corbin seat that makes the long rides very comfortable. Heated grips and highway pegs( made my own, very easy) makes the long haul almost as easy as on my Gold Wing:11a: I used a 10" over wind shield and put my stock shield on top of it for highway use but the stock shield is all I really need.:50:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I stopped at Corbin on my way to SoCal. Corbin changed the foam in the past few years. The foam is much softer than my 2006 Corbin seat. I am getting the foam replaced on my return trip next week.
Another option is Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php . Inexpensive and I think it will sit well. I am going to send my stock seat to them after I get home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys.
:58:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tall windshield is doing a great job. I just ordered highway gears and my highway bar paint is drying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts