Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

well, the inevitable happened a couple of weeks ago while coming home from a Gathering in Mattawa Wa.... I hit a deer doing 50 mph. I slowed it from 60, but still didn't have enough time to get any slower. the impact took out all the plastics in the front end.... but didn't damage the forks. !!! so thats good. I skipped along on the pavement bouncing and scraping and such... did at least 3 complete turn overs.... and came away with a little wrist bone fracture in the throttle wrist. and some rash... and water on the left knee. It pays to wear the best riding gear!.... its mostly toast, but worked out well.

So, I"m wondering how to restore this beast.?... any Ideas on how to get complete fronts at an affordable price? Don't tell me to make something out of plywood .... lol...... Does anyone know someone with a lot of parts they would like to sell?....

you can see the pics on my homepage on this site.

thanks for the view, and I'm ok. The bike is salvaged and things worked out that way with ins.... I just want to get it looking smart again.

Thanks,
C.M.
509-855-3893

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yikes! I cant help you with parts but Im glad you are relatively ok.
Deer are my worst fear while riding. I think I do a pretty good job at reading the road and managing my space around idiot cagers, ect, but I feel pretty vulnerable to unpredictable wildlife from the dark roadsides.
Looks like you came down hard on the helmet, any issues with the chin bar opening up during the crash? Just curious, you hear alot of criticism concerning the strength of the latch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ray, nope... had no issues with the latch. In fact, I couldn't open it afterwards... I did release it eventually, but it still works as it should. I have had problems with one other exo 900 but sent it back on warranty . I will force myself to get a new helmet...although I'm trying to save a buck now....

Yes, people worry me all the time while driving. Dogs and Deer just absolutely freeken bother me.... You are in good company. ... ran over a Rock Marmot once... lol

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dang man. Glad you're OK. The deer barely looks scratched. Weird. Looks like you went down tough and thank God for the gear. I have no idea about the plastics...ebay...thanks for posting pics...good reminder for us all. And yeah, deer scare the shit out of me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Ray, nope... had no issues with the latch. In fact, I couldn't open it afterwards... I did release it eventually, but it still works as it should. I have had problems with one other exo 900 but sent it back on warranty . I will force myself to get a new helmet...although I'm trying to save a buck now....

Yes, people worry me all the time while driving. Dogs and Deer just absolutely freeken bother me.... You are in good company. ... ran over a Rock Marmot once... lol
I may be able to help you out on the helmet situation. Ive had a Transformer for while as my spare helmet. A few weeks ago I picked up a Bell, Now the Transformer is my spare, spare, so I really dont need it anymore.
Its not Hi-Vis though, its silver and its a large. Its been worn very little (maybe 10 times) Not a scratch on it. If you're interested, let me know, we can work something out.
Ray

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jaw, thanks. ... Yea on the marks, but you know as I do that internally, that deer is messed up.... I can't stress how much good gear will work for you. My wife made me get the hivis color for the helmet due to concerns. ... It really works and makes folks double take. whew. ... I'm working on a guy in Montana on the front cowl/light pkg... and maybe the blinker set too... and possibly rear rack.... ...so, I might be in luck if he has any side covers. ... might be out of the woods shortly...

BTW, is there any way to get more room to post pics?... It looks like I can only put up 5 in the single album I have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray, that is very kind of you. I appreciate that. I'm wondering about how my wife will feel about changing colors however, especially after this one.... Lets see what happens with this parts quest of mine and tally the scratch for repairs. That will let me know how much I have for a new helmet....lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ray, that is very kind of you. I appreciate that. I'm wondering about how my wife will feel about changing colors however, especially after this one.... Lets see what happens with this parts quest of mine and tally the scratch for repairs. That will let me know how much I have for a new helmet....lol
I understand. I went to Hi-Vis recently myself. Probably wont help with the deer though;)
I could let it go cheap but shipping across the U.S. would probably kill the deal anyway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I'll keep you posted. Shipping can't be more than 30 bucks?...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts