Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been beaten, but.
The tank is 6+ gallons ( sorry I stink at metric)
I'm a winter Texan, and do all slow short trips and not over 60mph. That said.
Last week had to do reserve in a 25mph area at 211 miles. (I did the secret reserve to not chance having a problem across the bridge) (so I pulled over and did the secret resereve) tip on side. Went 1 mile to gas station, 1/4 or more in the 25mph, then 58mph across the bridge, and needed to shake the bike across the bridge to get more gas to pet- cock. ( it was dieing cross the bridge)
( I put 4.43 gallons of gas in)

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
I think that you ought to siphon your fuel tank dry (on both sides), checking for trash in what you siphon out. Then remove the fuel tap assemble to see (if) the reserve fuel screen is Restricted with trash or varnish.

The screens on the fuel tap are NOT sold separately by anyone, so don't get carried away with high pressure compressed air.

The screens can be soaked clean in original formula Pine-Sol if aerosol carb cleaners don't flush them clean. But the main body of the fuel tap won't like the Pine-Sol for more than about 30 - 60 minutes, rinse in warm water.

I have used 5.928 gallons from my fuel tank. There is usually about a gallon below the ON fuel screen, accessible with tap on RES. But some ON stand pipes might be longer or shorter. I used the super secret reserve 4 times to get all I could get, with the front tire UP the side of the barrow ditch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ill do the drain and check after new years. The bike has run fine, since fill up of 4.43 gallons.
The bike is a 2018, only 6350 miles on it. This past summer I know I hit 220 then reserve, and drove it another, maybe 6-10 miles at 60mph, and didn't have a problem. The farm pump I was using for gas didn't have a way of telling how many gallons used, at that time.
Crap on the screen would explain not going far on reserve, and shaking it to get to the gas station.
I do/have been filling mostly with gas cans, as its easier to fill at home before a ride.
when I fill my truck, I fill the cans.
This is why I always admit, I didn't break the klr in, it did/is breaking me in. I have never had a bike that has to remind me from time to time, who the boss is.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I will get a drain hose from the hardware store, and when I drain, ill use my Honda generator catch screen it has in the tank to catch/monitor any junk coming out.
I do have an oil sucker thing I haven't used yet, so before removing the tank, ill try sucking the secret reserve area, and see if any junk their. If junk all over, ill have to remove tank and flush.
I will probably have to keep said, funnel in a bag to keep future dirt/dust off it, so the screen wont get plugged. I just like filling up at home/camper before a ride, and It also ensures I have gas on hand for the generator, if needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its been a few years, but my recollection I could only get 5.8 gallons in my KLR tank AFTER running 11 miles on the secret reserve.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, finally took pet-coc assembly out this morning. (Still not sure what happened the 1 time)
Both screens were spotless. Filtered fuel and put back in. Just put 3.8 gallons In an i got 46.34mpg. That's the best I've gotten so far. I would love to join the 300 club.
Having fuel injection for so long, it's a learning curve to go back to simple carb and no computer. I love it, it trains me and let's me know what it wants.
Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my experience, anytime I encounter rough running, stumbling, cutting out, etc., first thing that I suspect is bad gas, water in the gas, etc. Always a good idea to drain the carb several times, and do whatever you need to do to ensure tank is free of accumulated water. The KLR carb is not very tolerant of water in the gas, and when enough accumulates in the float bowl, things like you are experiencing can occur. EFI on the other hand seems more tolerant of water in the gas.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
With gasahol it is pretty rare to have liquid water settling to the bottom of the fuel tank or float bowl. Because the alcohol in the gasolines absorbs any water from the previous possible batch of pure gasoline from the gas can in the garage (that got left out in the rain storm).

Of course this can depend on which area of which country one may live in. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
With gasahol it is pretty rare to have liquid water settling to the bottom of the fuel tank or float bowl. Because the alcohol in the gasolines absorbs any water from the previous possible batch of pure gasoline from the gas can in the garage (that got left out in the rain storm).

Of course this can depend on which area of which country one may live in. ;)
Unfortunately I went thru a "bad gas" period, saw our local Shell station doing major work replacing the lines from underground tanks to the pumps... one person working there admitted they'd been having trouble with water in the gas. The ethanol in gasoline can only absorb so much water before it becomes saturated.

·
Premium Member
7,011 Posts
I'll suggest that leaky pipes would be more prone to suck air and no gas or water from the below ground tanks, unless there is primary pump inside the tanks.
But if there is a primary pump submerged in the tanks, wouldn't leaky pipes be more prone to spilling gas than sucking air or ground water?

I'll admit that I know nothing about fuel station plumbing. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll suggest that leaky pipes would be more prone to suck air and no gas or water from the below ground tanks, unless there is primary pump inside the tanks.
But if there is a primary pump submerged in the tanks, wouldn't leaky pipes be more prone to spilling gas than sucking air or ground water?

I'll admit that I know nothing about fuel station plumbing. :)
High water table... and we're floating on clay here - this region was lake bottom. Here, a lot of gas stations are going to above ground tanks, to avoid ground (soil) contamination issues. I can be fussy where I get gas, tend to avoid smaller stations that don't sell lots, and I'll run premium occasionally (no ethanol).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is very, very humid hear daily where im waiting out the winter. Maybe a taist of dry gas with every fill up might be in line. I hate to use it more than needed as to not mess up the rubber parts. It has been a little moody on start ups also, lately.
I have helped with removal and instolation of fuel tanks, and they have lots of sensors and alarms. Weather the station does anything about it is different. Sometimes they have to have a truck come and suck the water and stuff from the bottom, and that costs a lot, because of proper disposel and or filtering.
As always, thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts